PDA

View Full Version : High-key Banking Common Goldeneye.

Daniel Cadieux
01-02-2017, 03:36 PM
I had a couple of fun outings with Common Goldeneyes a couple of weeks ago. This was from the first, rather unexpected of those sessions. This female came racing in from around and island and as I was tracking her head0on she suddenly banked hard and back around the other side of the island. This was horizontally photographed in-camera, with both wing tips just barely fitting in. Adding canvas top and bottom and cropping in both sides to transform it into a vertical was easy as snap with the high-key background :c3:

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, cropped as described above, a rather heavy blue cast removed.

Isaac Grant
01-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Once again I am so envious. I saw about 500 of these today but they were about half a mile off shore!!! Great banking pose, great details and works really well against that background. Very nice indeed.

Bill Dix
01-02-2017, 04:50 PM
A beauty of a banking pose. Good exposure, and the high-key works nicely.

Arthur Morris
01-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Hey Dan,

Killer pose, gorgeous high key, and sharp. The belly and the underwings look a tad overdone (jangly...) to me. Did you apply any NIK Detail Extractor?

a

Jim Crosswell
01-02-2017, 07:35 PM
I like the banking pose, composition and high key. Excellent image Daniel!

Daniel Cadieux
01-04-2017, 06:50 AM
Hey guys, thanks!

Artie, I may have done one pass too many of a low opacity burn tool to bring details back on the belly (the file was processed a few weeks back and forgot to mention that in the details). The wings are pretty much as in the raw file, save for usual contrast/saturation tweaks.