PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Seal

Steve Kaluski
12-30-2016, 09:06 AM
Thought after all these seals being posted, I too would add one into the mix. Shot from a zodiac rather than on land whilst out in Svalbard.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Harbor Seal (Phoca vitulina) on rock
Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO800 EV+0.33
Original format: Landscape, crop for presentation
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Jim Crosswell
12-30-2016, 02:13 PM
I like how he is posing with the flipper across the rock. Interesting lines and texture on the rock as well. Nice image Steve.

Andreas Liedmann
12-30-2016, 03:29 PM
Hi Steve what a fat brother of my seals ... must have been a big guy .... do they grow bigger up in Svalbard ?
I like the pose of the seal and the rock he is lying on , lovely colors and tones .Very nice IQ and superb fine details as always ...:w3... and expected .
Have you had the MK II already on the Svalbard trip ....:w3
If you have lightened the eyes .... i might temper that back ... when looking at the angle of light i would expect the eyes to be darker , just my impression .

TFS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR ..... Maestro :wave:

Loi Nguyen
12-31-2016, 01:18 AM
Hi Steve, I don't know much about seals, but here you have a very fat one on the rock creating a nice high vantage point. Your techs are good as usual. The eyes look fine to me. I find the dark band up top a little distracting. I'd suggest taking a sliver off the top, you will see the seal popped more. Loi

Steve Kaluski
12-31-2016, 05:03 AM
Thanks Jim, it's just nice to shoot diverse and not just one region, makes for a better photographer and you get to see more and learn more. :w3

Steve Kaluski
12-31-2016, 05:05 AM
Andreas, MKII was not available then. Eyes as is nothing lightened or tweaked. They need to be bigger to allow the PB to catch them :bg3:.

Have a good one too.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Kaluski
12-31-2016, 05:09 AM
Hi Loi, nothing I can do about the beach behind, that's what it is sadly. If you go tighter it cramps the subject too much, but as an alternative... but too sterile for me.

haseeb badar
12-31-2016, 05:30 AM
Hi Steve -- As always details and IQ spot on ! And i liked your RP , though sterile but definitely isolates the subject much better . By the looks of the seal it appears as it had a head shave quite recently :bg3: .

Enjoyed viewing this .

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
12-31-2016, 08:42 AM
Hi Steve - This just works on all levels. Nice low pov, details and inclusion of habitat. I prefer the op though might tame the specular hls along the beach just slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
12-31-2016, 10:52 AM
Steve i know about the MK II ..... but you have a typo :w3 in your intro .....:t3
Have a better one .... see you next year
Best light and options for 2017

Cheers Andreas