PDA

View Full Version : Nesting Curlews

Julie Rathbone
12-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Came across a pair nesting right in the middle of suburbia...taken with nikon D5, 200-500mm, TC1.4, f5.6, 1/1250

Randy Stout
12-30-2016, 06:42 AM
Julie:

It is amazing how some birds have been able to adapt to civilization .

Good shooting angle, well exposed, nice angle of the head towards us a bit.

The bill is pretty sharp, but I am not seeing a lot of fine detail in the feathers. How big of a crop was this?

In general when I shoot with a TC , I try to go with a smaller f/stop to keep the quality up. Most TC/lens combinations don't work well wide open.

I like the green along the bottom, but would probably crop up a bit from the bottom so it isn't quite so over powering to the bird. This would then require a crop from the top to balance the composition.

Cheers

Randy

Julie Rathbone
12-30-2016, 06:50 AM
Julie:

It is amazing how some birds have been able to adapt to civilization .

Good shooting angle, well exposed, nice angle of the head towards us a bit.

The bill is pretty sharp, but I am not seeing a lot of fine detail in the feathers. How big of a crop was this?

In general when I shoot with a TC , I try to go with a smaller f/stop to keep the quality up. Most TC/lens combinations don't work well wide open.

I like the green along the bottom, but would probably crop up a bit from the bottom so it isn't quite so over powering to the bird. This would then require a crop from the top to balance the composition.

Cheers

Randy

Actually I didn't have the TC on for this shot, I accidentally wrote that as I had another shot ready to post...very small crop, was shooting through the bars of a fence hand held...thanks for critique

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isaac Grant
12-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Love the way the bird blends in. Agree with Randy that the IQ could be a little better but it is still a nice shot. Since you have some pixels left I would crop most of the green off at the bottom of the image. Don't think it adds anything and find it to be more of a distraction than anything else.