PDA

View Full Version : Large Skipper

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-16-2008, 06:52 AM
I know the background isn't up to much but I have posted this image because I have just tried Robert O'Toole's tip for setting the flash gun.
Canon 20D Canon 100mm macro lens Canon 550EX Gun @1/8 power in manual mode
ISO 100
1/250 sec @ f14
Thanks Robert, you have converted me to manual flash I like the subtle results and freezing of action.
Jon

Roman Kurywczak
06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi Jonathan,
Glad to see you putting Robert's advice to work. Lighting is right on..............I can't believe I'm saying this....but a shallower DOF would have probably made it a killer BG also. Digital files are free..........bracket with F stops next time! Mu guess is f8 would have done the trick. Very nicely composed.

Steve Wheeler
06-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Just learning about lighting but this looks SPOT ON to me. I love the DOF you got on the subject and flower... Dunno if a change would've hurt you there or not, but I'd hate to see THAT lost in an effort to get a better BG.

Steve

John Cooper
06-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Well done Jon - the lighting has worked well for you!!

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Hi Jonathan,
Glad to see you putting Robert's advice to work. Lighting is right on..............I can't believe I'm saying this....but a shallower DOF would have probably made it a killer BG also. Digital files are free..........bracket with F stops next time! Mu guess is f8 would have done the trick. Very nicely composed.

Roman sometimes these Skippers are very obliging and sometimes of course they aren't. I will try to play around a little with apertures but in general I tend to use a small one between F11- F16 in an attempt to maximise DOF.
BTW After field testing macro lenses I have just ordered a Canon 180mm macro lens so I am hoping the background will start to appear more muted in future.
(The main reason for the Canon lens being that I can get AF with the canon 1.4TC and thus maximise my working distance when required, I very nearly bought the Sigma 150mm plus 1.4TC, - just hope I have made a correct, if rather expensive, decision!).

Jon