PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Flight

Bill Dix
12-26-2016, 02:05 PM
This is a sequel to the Northern Harrier I posted a few days ago -- this frame taken a tenth of a second later. Not one of the classic wing positions, but I rather liked it. I cloned out two bothersome bits of grass but left the rest since I felt they helped tell the story of this low-coursing raptor. I was pleased with the way the AF continued to track the bird even as it went into the grasses.

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual.

arash_hazeghi
12-26-2016, 02:45 PM
very cool but I like the other one better because of the near wing position. Glad to see Nikon finally produce a body that is affordable and can track raptors against married BGs.

Krishna Prasad kotti
12-26-2016, 03:25 PM
Hi Bill,

Nice Image. I like the eye contact.

I am also using the same camera. Can you let me know if you were using Single point AF or Group AF for this one. I am trying to understand which one is more better suited for this kind of situations.

Thank you for sharing the image.

Thanks
Krishna

Bill Dix
12-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Hi Bill,

Nice Image. I like the eye contact.

I am also using the same camera. Can you let me know if you were using Single point AF or Group AF for this one. I am trying to understand which one is more better suited for this kind of situations.

Thank you for sharing the image.

Thanks
Krishna

Krishna, I haven't had the camera long enough to experiment with the various settings in various situations, but on this one I was using AF-C 3d. It acquires focus very quickly and seems to track flight well with this setting. I need to experiment more with the GRP setting which may work better under some conditions.

Jonathan Spool
12-27-2016, 12:02 AM
Thanks for sharing this photo Bill. I'm a newbie here, and this capture inspired me to visit your gallery so I could see it in its entirety. That's quite a body of work you have put up. Absolutely marvelous!

keith mitchell
12-27-2016, 03:58 AM
Bill I applaud you for giving us something different,really like the way you have captured this in it's hunting role,head and eye totally hold the viewers attention,great job.

Keith.

Frank Schauf
12-27-2016, 05:58 AM
Great light and flight pose.

Bill Dix
12-27-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks for sharing this photo Bill. I'm a newbie here, and this capture inspired me to visit your gallery so I could see it in its entirety. That's quite a body of work you have put up. Absolutely marvelous!

Thank you very much Jonathan. Welcome to BPN.

John Whaley
12-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Like this one very much Bill. I been away and this is the first image I clicked on this morning. Great light and bg with the clear bright eye. Like the spread tail feathers.

Bill Dix
12-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-28-2016, 01:26 PM
I like this 2nd. image in the series as well, Bill. Interesting to note, and see the results of a split second difference.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Jim Crosswell
12-28-2016, 05:49 PM
I like you earlier post better but this is a beauty too. Its better than any I have in my files of this fine looking bird. Well done Bill.

Loi Nguyen
12-30-2016, 02:01 AM
Bill, I'm late to the party, but awesome image. Gorgeous light. The tall grass added much to the image as it is the habitat. I just wish you didn't have strong shadow on the far wing. Loi

Bill Dix
12-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Thank you Geoffrey, Jim and Loi. I agree about the shadow.