PDA

View Full Version : Theme Iceland Gull in late evening light

Isaac Grant
12-23-2016, 03:40 PM
​We only get a few Iceland Gulls around New York City every year. Typically they are mixed in with huge numbers of other gulls and take hours to find. I was lucky that one showed up at my local gull spot that I check all the time and is behaving very unlike every other Iceland Gull that we have had here before. It is just hanging out with the local Ring-bills and Herring Gulls. It is eating bread from people and even landed on my car the other day while I was in it. I went there last night to try and take some pictures of it in nice setting sunlight. Today there were 2 of them there together which is even better!

Canon 7d mark ii and Canon 500 f4 ii. ISO 400, F7.1, 1/2500, -1/3rd. Tripod mounted while sitting on ground.

Converted in DPP 4. Highlight and shadow adjustments in DPP. In PS in sharpened and applied NR to background. Shot is full frame and as shot. Left the catchlights in eye as shot as well. Not sure why there were so many but that is not something I ever touch.

Jim Crosswell
12-23-2016, 04:37 PM
I like the angled pose, light, water color and its sharp where it needs to be. I would clone out one of the catch lights because the eye would look sharper but you say that's not something you don't do. Still a beauty as presented.

Satish Ranadive
12-24-2016, 11:34 PM
Excellent image in beautiful lights.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
12-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Your situation with this species sounds very similar to ours up here...except I have yet to find one that does not flee from fifty yards away! Lucky you! Artistically perhaps a bit tight in the frame, but I don't blame you:S3:. Great light. Sharp, but I agree the catchlight detracts form that. I'm normally OK with a double catchlight when water is around, but in this case I would likely lose the lower bit. One day I'll get my chance with Iceland Gull...until then your image will keep me hoping!

Isaac Grant
12-25-2016, 10:23 AM
I have full frame shots of this bird of only its head. May post one just for the fun of it. What is weird is that there are now 2 of them there and both are equally as tame. They just sit with the local gulls and spent much of their time too close to focus on with the 500!!!