PDA

View Full Version : Scary monsters & fantastic beasts

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Just out having some fun this morning, whilst the sun was out - bathing the park in strong, saturated Winter colours.

It's quite nice to turn the tables and shoot small, although the fisheye was proving a tad more difficult at times. I think if passes by saw these teeth, they may think twice at trying to attract them.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) baring teeth!!!
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 16-35mm f/2.8MKII HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO2500 EV 0
Focal Distance 10cms
Original format: Portrait, very small crop for presentation
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Andreas Liedmann
12-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Hi Steve .... a little guy from Transylvania :bg3::bg3::bg3:
Lovely to see a different approach and view of them . Love the low angle .... how did you get that low :bg3::e3
The super fine details are stunning and the usual high IQ is great .
I just wish for more DOF to get the whole head sharp , specially the eyes .The fence is a bit unfortunate .....but was there !!!
Enjoyed watching ...
TFS Andreas

keith mitchell
12-20-2016, 01:54 PM
You keep coming up with something different Steve,excellent detail and Iq,love those whiskers and teeth.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2016, 02:14 PM
I just wish for more DOF to get the whole head sharp , specially the eyes .The fence is a bit unfortunate .....but was there !!!I just wish for more DOF to get the whole head sharp , specially the eyes .The fence is a bit unfortunate .....but was there !!!

Hard to gauge Andreas, could have easily upped things no problem, but also these guys are constantly moving and darting about, easily spooked by any slight movement, or noise - set on HS(S). Not a lot you can do with a WA lens, but it's enough OOF not to be distracting IMHO. :S3:

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2016, 02:16 PM
You keep coming up with something different Steve,excellent detail and Iq,love those whiskers and teeth.

Thanks Keith, yes just trying to be a bit more 'alternative' in my thinking, not 'rocket science' or 'reinventing the wheel', just a bit of fun. :bg3:

Rachel Hollander
12-21-2016, 05:53 AM
Hi Steve - Great to see you experimenting in the field and fun to see the teeth and whiskers, however, this really doesn't work for me. I want more (or less) of the squirrel and more room around the whiskers. The fence and the highlights where the sun hits the fence are major distractions for me. Keep experimenting though.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2016, 09:51 PM
Such a great image Steve...one of the best squirrel photos I have ever seen!!!

Basil Dardagan
12-21-2016, 10:47 PM
I think that the teeth and whiskers make fantastic focal points !!

Steve Kaluski
12-22-2016, 02:54 AM
Such a great image Steve...one of the best squirrel photos I have ever seen!!!

Cheers Andrew, I wonder who sowed the seed here, however this was far more demanding believe me (although I think you know), rather than the majority of my wildlife images. Working at such close quarters, low perspective and as I mentioned, these guys are easily spooked, did mean you had to be very crafty. I very much appreciate far more now, your Frogscapes, especially shooting from a kayak. :cheers:

Folks should try shooting with much smaller lens like this, it's fun and challenges the person, plus, subjects like this are oh so common. :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
12-22-2016, 02:55 AM
Cheers Basil.

haseeb badar
12-22-2016, 06:26 AM
Hi Steve -- You will never cease to amaze us . Absolutely loved this one ! Such lovely details and a super low angle. Yes the fence is unfortunate but I am sure a lot of people would love to experiment with squirrel images . Great going !

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
12-22-2016, 06:33 AM
Thanks Haseeb, you can experiment with any animal/subject and just have fun for a change and challenge yourself and the camera, (especially if you have a new camera body to play with :bg3:).

I think next year one of the themes will be - 'Out for Fun' or 'Challenge yourself'.

Moody McCall
12-22-2016, 06:36 AM
Cool shot. Like the bushy tail. Be careful!

haseeb badar
12-22-2016, 04:30 PM
Great idea Steve !

Morkel Erasmus
12-22-2016, 06:59 PM
A really fun perspective Steve!! :5

Gabriela Plesea
12-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Dearest Steve,

I certainly see this on a magazine cover:5

Trying to avoid a philosophical discourse since it is almost midnight. Tempted though...I must say, this makes me think you are having the most fun with photography, capturing Nature at its best, weird and wonderful as it is:w3

Superb pose from this fellow, he is so bold and daring! If indeed a He, than we are probably looking at the Eros of all squirrels: neither beautiful nor gentle, given the size of his teeth. (Did our friend Neil see this?)

As usual, you devote yourself to detail, and it is there where it matters most. Some might think I am trying to please you but I assure them (and you) it is not so: if you remember our discussions about "mood and feel" you will know this is right up my alley. Not just from the aesthetics POV (love the comp, BTW), I just love the way your character fills the frame (seems huge, despite its real life size...)

So what's not to like here? Great POV, angle, love how you seemingly "distort" things. You have a great gift Steve : you are able to stir one's imagination. Looking at your squirrel and its bare teeth I just cannot help but think of a Broadway character, hope this makes sense to you?:w3

Warmest regards,