PDA

View Full Version : Eensie Weensie spider

Mike Hitchen
12-20-2016, 06:55 AM
I thought I would try my hand again at macro and came across this spider spinning a web on a fence post (the ball it is about to leave is about 3inches (75mm) across). The flash took the exposure right down to turn the background black.
The flash was reflected off a modifier shaped into a scoop but I think it col have been improved by another soft reflector below the flash to fill in some shadows

Canon 7D2 with 100mm f2.8 LIS, ISO800, f11, 1/180 sec, cropped by 60%

Jonathan Ashton
12-21-2016, 10:28 AM
A very trick subject to expose correctly but you have done well. You have focused very well and the DOF is good. It is good to see the strand being checked over.
(I find the omni bounce diffuser very good for providing even light in macro, it is also very convenient and compact. A much larger diffuser should give better results yet I find it pretty good on the whole).

Mike Hitchen
12-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Thank you for your comments, Jonathan.
I do have an omnibounce but for some reason don't use it much - I will give it a go for subjects like this

Steve Maxson
12-21-2016, 03:41 PM
An interesting subject giving you a great pose and I like the comp! The flash-generated spectral highlights are pretty harsh despite your method of diffusion. Unless the body of this spider was very reflective, I think you should try to increase the level of flash diffusion as that will take strong images like this up another level or two. :S3: