PDA

View Full Version : RIP- Furaha, the Queen of Ruaha

Marc Mol
12-19-2016, 02:38 PM
This is the last image captured (12 hrs before her death) of a very special leopardess named Furaha which means Joy in Swahili. Lorenzo my guide and I stayed with Furaha for 7hrs (on the 29th Oct) and due to curfew had to leave her @ 7pm, there was clearly something wrong with her, but the change in her demeaner started only around 5pm, she was vomiting and disoriented, it was very sudden, and we had hoped she might improve by the morning. We drove back to where we left here first thing next morning, just beside her favourite tree to find her body, we both broke down and cried that this beautiful creature was now gone.......so terribly sad.

It appeared she died sometime before midnight. An autopsy by the vet from TANAPA (Tanzania National Parks Authority) whom we called straight away, was carried out that morning which revealed that she was NOT poisoned nor bitten by a snake, which were both our main concerns, nor had she recently given birth, which had been another concern as she appeared to be lactating, her thin body initially gave us that impression, so there was some small comfort that there were no cubs lost as well. Results of her death are still not fully known, other than her lungs, kidneys & liver had been damaged, a respiratory collapse the result. Her legacy will live on through her wonderful son Moyo who has inherited her wonderful spirit and relaxed disposition.

Over the period of my last 11 days in Ruaha, things were not quite the same.........something was gone. It was hard to drive past her tree and not get emotional.
We have both known her nearly all of her oh so short 6½ year life. She was probably the most relaxed and coolest leopard I've ever had the privilege to know.
The actual cause of death will never be really known due to TANAPA's limited resources, but it can almost be said it was a from natural causes.

Only the good die young...........RIP Furaha, the Queen of Ruaha. :cheers:

HH from front pax seat, slight crop. curves. levels, TK adj's to B&W in ACR & PS CC'15.

Nikon D500
Nikkor 80-400 AF-S
1/250s FP flash -1.7EV
f/6.3
ISO100@ 80mm.

Cheers
Marc

Stuart Philpott
12-19-2016, 04:14 PM
Marc,deeply I share your sadness such a shame funds are so short one will never know cause. Marc,mate, head up it's utterly evident your love for her ,but her genes do live on ,that in it's self is a triumph.
Your image is very moving given the circumstances,but mate it is also stunning the interplay of light on her and the tree is just beautiful.

A lovely tribute to an amazing animal Marc both in image and words thanks for sharing her
Ahh mate I'm sorry for your loss

Stu

Rachel Hollander
12-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Hi Marc - A beautiful tribute to a special cat. Sorry to hear about her death but at least you were there and can take some solace in that fact. Often these big cats disappear with just a suspicion as to what may have happened to them. Looks like the light may have been a bit strong when you captured this image but you did well in controlling the highlights. I like the conversion and treatment as well as the negative space.

TFS,
Rachel

Basil Dardagan
12-19-2016, 11:16 PM
VERY VERY SPECIAL Mark. You write with a authenticity that proves a true love and real understanding of Africas wild !! Its a beautiful image that does a great job of visually portraying what you have written. RIP Furaha.

Andreas Liedmann
12-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Hi Marc sorry to hear the story about her death .
Well chosen words for a tribute to her .
Image works as presented !!!!
TFS Andreas

keith mitchell
12-20-2016, 02:00 PM
Marc this story tells me how you love your animals for themselves and not just photographic objects,very sad.

Keith.

Loi Nguyen
12-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Marc, what a heart break. TFS. You will have this wonderful image of her in your heart. Loi

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear this Marc...beautiful words regarding her.....great capture and conversion on the image!

haseeb badar
12-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Hi Marc -- Sorry to hear this and you have put it up very well in terms of words and image as well . The conversion works for me .

TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
12-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Sad story and fitting tribute image...

I think something went funky in the conversion around the tip of the tail?

Marc Mol
12-23-2016, 06:08 AM
Appreciate the positive comments everyone, much appreciated.

Sad story and fitting tribute image...

I think something went funky in the conversion around the tip of the tail?

Yes it does appear so Morkel, it's amplified the white fringe/tones, however the colour version is fine.

Morkel Erasmus
12-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Noted Marc.
Does look like some chromatic aberration based on the colour version? Can remove using LR?

Julie Rathbone
12-29-2016, 11:49 PM
Sad, but I love this image, great post production

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marc Mol
12-30-2016, 05:33 PM
Noted Marc.
Does look like some chromatic aberration based on the colour version? Can remove using LR?

Definitely not CA here Morkel, viewing the RAW file @ 100% :w3 plus I have CA removal as a preset in ACR (don't use LR) and increase/decrease to taste.