PDA

View Full Version : Ice sculpture

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Leaving the shoreline we made our way back to ship, whilst on route we pasted quite a few mini ice bergs, carved by both the wind and water. Just loved the texture of the ice and the way it covered and rolled.

Steve

Subject: Mini ice berg - shot from moving zodiac
Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/9 ISO400 EV 0.33
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop for presentation
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

dankearl
12-18-2016, 11:57 AM
I really like the shapes and textures....I wish there was no land in the BG.

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2016, 11:59 AM
I wish there was no land in the BG.

Sadly Dan - that would be in an ideal world. :S3:

Adhika Lie
12-19-2016, 11:38 AM
Agreed with Dan's assessment. The shapes and texture is awesome. That land in the BG detracts so much from the image to me. I also wish there is a little more room at the bottom so the ice doesn't touch mid frame.

Steve Kaluski
12-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Sadly Adhika that's they way you have to shoot (facing land), no option, plus shooting on a moving zodiac can be challenging at the best of times, as framing is also based on the movement up & down. Shooting on land with a tripod and time on your side would certainly make this easier. :S3:

Luis Patacao
12-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Hi Steve, agreed with the Bg issue, but love the ice shape and texture plus the water drops! :bg3:

Jonathan Ashton
12-21-2016, 10:32 AM
I love the colours and textures in the ice. The pointed ice fragment in the aperture with the water droplets dropping down to it is just intriguing.

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Steve that is one fantastic ice scultpure...I love the details and the colour of the ice and the water droplets running of the ice itself. I do not mind the land in the background as it adds another element to this scene. The only way I see it being avoided would have been if you jumped in the water to lower your shooting perspective :S3:

Steve Kaluski
12-22-2016, 02:43 AM
Thanks guys.

The only way I see it being avoided would have been if you jumped in the water to lower your shooting perspective

Indeed Andrew, not advisable though, or perhaps a canoe??? :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
12-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Contextually you did very well to frame this Steve. I like the shapes and can live with the land in BG.
Still an area I would love to visit, if my country's currency starts improving someday :Whoa!: