PDA

View Full Version : Theme Death of a giraffe

Marc Mol
12-17-2016, 07:55 AM
An exhausted mature lioness dripping saliva from the bloody battle, stands over the body of an adult giraffe they have just taken down.
No mean feat considering it was just 2 old girls!

Ruaha NP- Tanzania

F/F. Bean bag, front pax seat, curves, levels, TK adj's in ACR & PS CC '15.

Nikon D5
Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL
1/640s
f/6.3
ISO1250.

Cheers
Marc

Mike Hitchen
12-17-2016, 06:47 PM
A very poignant image, Marc. But I would have liked to see a bit more at the top to recognise it as a lion.

Marc Mol
12-18-2016, 03:12 AM
Many thanks Mike

A very poignant image, Marc. But I would have liked to see a bit more at the top to recognise it as a lion.

To me it's a case of less is more here, showing just the jawline was deliberate and I'm hopeful that most people would immediately identify it as a lion.

Rachel Hollander
12-18-2016, 07:09 AM
Hi Marc - Yes, it is easily recognizable as a lion. For me though the real subject is the eye of the giraffe. I find the comp as is a bit in between. I either want more lion at the top or less (a pano with just the leg and no part of the head). Good to see you experimenting in the field.

TFS,
Rachel

Bryan Pereira
12-18-2016, 08:31 PM
interesting crop but would love to see more of the lion to complete the story. love the highlights on the eye

Basil Dardagan
12-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Such an insightful image that certainly makes me stop, look and think. I think this is worth experimenting with all sorts of different crops

Mike Hitchen
12-19-2016, 05:58 AM
Hi Marc - Yes, it is easily recognizable as a lion. For me though the real subject is the eye of the giraffe. I find the comp as is a bit in between. I either want more lion at the top or less (a pano with just the leg and no part of the head). Good to see you experimenting in the field.

TFS,
Rachel

Thing is I've never been on safari and very rarely visit zoos and this is certainly not an angle that most people see even then - I guess I could have worked it out to be a lion if Marc had not mentioned it (I tend to look at the picture first then read any description). I don't think it would have taken much more of the lion in the frame to let it speak to itself. But I agree that it is great to see people trying out these different viewpoints.
The bloodied jaw and the drool of saliva is what makes it really poignant.

Andreas Liedmann
12-19-2016, 01:39 PM
Hi Marc a very powerful image :cheers::5:cheers:
Well seen and captured in the field , quite a unique view to the scene .
Like the unusual attempt of this frame .

TFS Andreas

haseeb badar
12-20-2016, 06:06 AM
Hi Marc -- I am a big fan of your photography , and this image is another special creation of yours . Well seen and executed . Very powerful image indeed .

TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
12-24-2016, 04:43 AM
Powerful and poignant image mate. Story-telling!
I do think it can work as a square with some off the LHS, not the whole giraffe snout needs to be in IMHO?