PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Cranes - A Lesson in Auto-ISO

Bill Dix
12-16-2016, 10:29 AM
As a follow-up to Geoffrey's four cranes from yesterday: We spotted the birds very close to the road, behind a large roadside sign that seemed to offer a good blind. We pulled a U-turn, got out of the car at some distance and crept up behind the sign -- so far so good. But as soon as we stuck our heads slowly around the sign they were off. We grabbed a few quick flight shots before they were past us, not having time (or foresight?) to make adjustments to settings. I had been experimenting with Auto-ISO which was working nicely on shots with a constant subject and background in changing light, but it wasn't prepared for the change from field to sky and auto-adjusted the ISO to 450, grossly underexposing the birds. What to do? With only a minor tweak to Levels, I converted the birds to silhouettes. WDYT?

D500, 500f4, Auto-ISO 450, 1/2500s @ f/8. Full-frame.

Joseph Przybyla
12-16-2016, 11:17 AM
I like it, quite nice as a silhouette. I use Auto-ISO all the time in Manual Mode, adjusting the shutter speed and aperture as needed for motion and depth of field. That being said I do bias the exposure using the +/- EV as experience has taught me, also using the Histogram when time allows. I always use Matrix Metering. If the bird/subject is darker than the background I need to add light. Conversely, if the bird/subject is brighter that the background I need to subtract light. If the background is mid-tone and the bird/subject is mid-tone and the light is bright the meter in the camera will pretty much get the correct exposure. It's just something I have always done because I believe shutter speed and aperture are more important that what number the ISO is with a correct or slight exposure to the right. Thanks you for sharing this image, Bill.

gail bisson
12-16-2016, 03:47 PM
I quite like this Bill.
Good wing positions and good separation of birds.
I like the clouds and the hint of blue sky. I might like a version with the blue pumped up a bit,
Gail

David Salem
12-16-2016, 08:21 PM
The frame looks great Bill. Love the wing positions and the separation between the birds. I agree with Gail about pumping up the blue channel. We can even see thru the nostrils of a few. Not sure what the lesson you came away with is but I would say that "auto" anything is not totally manual. Stick with manual ISO and you will do better overall.

Matthew Jones
12-17-2016, 05:22 AM
I really like this Bill and echo the above sentiments. For me its the downbeat wing sequences that create a feeling of motion that I like most, the tones in the sky are a nice bonus and the silhouettes really work, congrats.

Bill Dix
12-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at boosting the blues. And yes, David, that was my take-away: I would have been better in Manual.

Jim Crosswell
12-19-2016, 11:52 AM
I like the wing position, separation and composition. Well done Bill.