PDA

View Full Version : Merlin with half a D-fly

Ian McLachlan
12-15-2016, 07:03 PM

This image was taken at David Salem's raptor venue in SoCal last month. I have processed in L.R.and Ph .S.
There were 2 eye lights either side of centre so I merged them. This Lady was very compliant but not so compliant that she hadn't eaten most of her catch before we got there. Lucky this time.

1dx
840mm
f 6.3
ISO800
candc very grateful

Isaac Grant
12-15-2016, 09:06 PM
I love Merlins and have never gotten a proper image of one. Love the bird and the brown tones of the background. Prey item is a nice bonus.

I would tone down the perch a bit as it seems a bit hot. Would also tone down the birds left leg (our right) just above yellow. Also would clone out the stump section on the bottom right of the image because it does not really add anything. Bird seems like it is maybe a touch over sharpened to me. Head looks a tiny bit crunchy but the wing looks good. Was focus on the head? Also not sure why but the catchlight does not look natural to me.

Ian McLachlan
12-15-2016, 10:15 PM
Thanks will try some of those, when i get back to town in 5 days time.Can't reply till then

arash_hazeghi
12-16-2016, 12:48 AM
I like the pose and the dragon fly, it is a bit too contrasty and over sharpened. I'd clone out the part of the perch sticking out in the right corner. BG is excellent

TFS

Stu Bowie
12-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Hi Ian, good angled pose, and great that we can see part of his meal. Another vote for toning down the sharpening.

David Salem
12-16-2016, 11:33 AM
What a great encounter we had with this little lady. Love the blue of the DF and her foot as she holds her prize. Yes it is a bit over sharpened and I would open up the comp a little but besides that, a beauty. Keep them coming!

gail bisson
12-16-2016, 03:49 PM
It looks like you had a great time with Dave.
I have to echo Arash's comments 100%.
Would love this in my files.
I would see if you could tone down the bright whites on the foot. Perhaps decrease the brightness or exposure slightly?
Gail

Mike Poole
12-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Great staring pose on this one, all nits already mentioned, lets see some more of the series.

Mike