PDA

View Full Version : Swan Lake Highlight

Mike Hitchen
12-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Canon 7D2 with 400mm DO MkII with 1.4MkII tc, f5.6 ISO 800 1/1000

After waiting 20 minutes for the breeze to die down and leave a calm water I managed water to get the swan against shadow. The background was darkened in Lightroom and the image cropped about 20%. I wasn't sure whether to leave a hint of detail in the background to give some texture or turn it complete black so decided on the former.

Mike Poole
12-15-2016, 11:41 AM
I like your thinking here Mike, it's difficult to shoot the more common birds in an original way, and this works well for me as something different.

I think the swan could do with being a little brighter around the neck and head in particular, and I tried boosting the vibrance of the bill albit, and added a catchlight as well. It was interesting to note that when I took the shot into PS there was a fair bit more detail than in your OP, and when I saved it as a jpeg myself, a lot of the BG detail went black as well.

Mike

Daniel Cadieux
12-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Nice and artistic. Well thought out too. A good peaceful feeling to it. I like the brightness boost of the repost. Having the swan even closer to the left edge would work, as well as a vertical presentation with the subject and reflection almost centered.

Mike Hitchen
12-16-2016, 05:11 AM
Thank you Mike, it is not much of a lift in tone but it makes a huge difference.

Thank you, Daniel - I did take a couple of portrait shots and it was a hard decision between them.

keith mitchell
12-16-2016, 06:33 AM
Mike I like your original but think Mike P just gives it a bit of lift.Do like your thinking on this making something different.
Keith.

Stu Bowie
12-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Hi Mike, I really what you have done here, and love the show of the reflection too. Comp works well, and Mike Poole has brought the image to another level.

Jim Crosswell
12-19-2016, 10:44 AM
I like the dark BG and the repost by Mike made the image even nicer. Very well done Mike.