PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Orlando

James McComas
06-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Where do you recommend in or near Orlando where I can find a large congregation of birds.

Rocky Sharwell
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Gatorland is really good for birds--The photographer's pass is highly suggested for early entrance as well as staying later than normal closing....

Maxis Gamez
06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi James,

Besides Gatorland, you can always check Lake Taho or Joe Overstreet. I would contact Jim Neiger and go out on his boat.

Take care!

Michael Pancier
06-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Gatorland is really good for birds--The photographer's pass is highly suggested for early entrance as well as staying later than normal closing....

Rocky, is Gatorland good other than in the early a.m.?

Rocky Sharwell
06-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Rocky, is Gatorland good other than in the early a.m.?

I really like it in the evenings---photographing across the water with really sweet light. Of course at this time of year you risk a monsoon/lightening strike.

I think you can buy a one day version of the photopass which lets you stay late. Mike Godwin has been a fabulous host and is very helpful....

Michael Pancier
06-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I really like it in the evenings---photographing across the water with really sweet light. Of course at this time of year you risk a monsoon/lightening strike.

I think you can buy a one day version of the photopass which lets you stay late. Mike Godwin has been a fabulous host and is very helpful....

can you get good shots with a 400 or 70-200 2.8L + 1.4x like at the Alligator Farm? I'm going up in the area mainly to see the Rat, so don't want to have the 500 with me during a lot of down time.

Layton E Parham
06-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Less than an hour from Orlando, Try Viera Wetlands. The low water has attracted many species of birds, 20 Spoonbills,12 Stilts,(1 juvie) this am at the click ponds. Many Great Egrets, Snowies. Great Blues, Sandhills, Blackbellied Whistling ducks, Storks, Etc. Layton
www.LaytonParhamPhoto.com (http://www.LaytonParhamPhoto.com)

Rocky Sharwell
06-19-2008, 06:59 AM
can you get good shots with a 400 or 70-200 2.8L + 1.4x like at the Alligator Farm? I'm going up in the area mainly to see the Rat, so don't want to have the 500 with me during a lot of down time.

I use the 70-200f4 + the 1.4 tc a lot when the wind is right for good flight shooting. I do not think it is enough if you are shooting across the water at the birds in the vegeation. There were also good head shots available when birds stand on the rail.