PDA

View Full Version : Those popular dead trees...

Morkel Erasmus
12-13-2016, 05:16 PM
On our recent road-trip through Namibia, we couldn't resist also making our way to the now-famous Dead Vlei in the Namib desert.
I had been here before in 1995, but we didn't even know about this spot back then, and only visited the larger Sossusvlei.

The problem these days is that a place that is photographed as often as this can risk not feeling new and jawdropping on your first visit. Nevertheless, I was happy with some of the images I walked away with here.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f16 | 1/25 SS | ISO-200

Rachel Hollander
12-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Hi Morkel - Tough to get something not previously done here. I like the detail of the near tree juxtaposed against the silhouettes of the bg trees.

TFS,
Rachel

Mike Hitchen
12-16-2016, 12:28 PM
A very different perspective, and very effective I think.

Luis Patacao
12-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Hi Morkel, i absolutelly agree with your statement here. As for the image i don`t love the composition, but i do enjoy the detail on the FG tree.
I might suggest a similar approach but in a panoramic view in order to really stand out the main tree vs the sea of "dead" bg trees. Just my personal opinion.

Cheers

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2016, 09:15 PM
Very nice capture Morkel....I really like how you framed the foreground tree in this composition!!!

Morkel Erasmus
12-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Thanks folks. I knew this composition would not work for everybody. Got a couple more to share in time...

Don Railton
12-31-2016, 11:49 PM
Hi Morkel

Consider putting a gradient from the bottom up to lighten the FG and see what you think. I understand your predicament in this well shot location, but not many images feature the FG like you have, so I think lightening the FG will draw there eye more to this and make your "difference" stand out. I used an exposure layer at +10% (on exposure and Gamma)...

DON