PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Gull chasing Gull chasing Gull with Starfish

Roger Stewart
12-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Spotted at a distance one evening off the Moray Coast in Scotland. Young Herring Gulls showing where the idea for the Spitfire came from! Not the sharpest of shots but interesting behaviour and a nice evening light.

Jonathan Ashton
12-12-2016, 04:28 AM
Roger, I like your description and critique, the light is beautiful the composition and story telling is great but unfortunately not quite sharp. Nevertheless and very interesting eye catching image.

Stu Bowie
12-12-2016, 06:07 AM
Hi Roger, a big welcome to BPN, and we hope you enjoy the interaction with other members. You certainly captured a great action shot here involving three Gulls. You have no control over their flight poses, but the center Gull has the best inflight pose. Overall, lovely light, but as Jon stated, the Gulls are bit soft. Comp wise, having more space on top to have more space for the wing tip of the back Gull would work better.

Please post your camera settings with your images.

Roger Stewart
12-12-2016, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I agree on the composition. Rear bird was tight to top of frame as photographed. I suppose I could have extended the canvas in Photoshop but I would rather practice getting it right in camera!

Apologies on lack of camera settings:

Canon EOS 7D MkII, Servo AF, High Speed Continuous, tripod mounted with Gimbal
EF 500mm f/4L IS II with 2 x Extender
1/1000 sec at f/8, ISO 400
Original Raw. Post processed in Lightroom CC, colour adjusted and sharpened.