PDA

View Full Version : Theme Grand old dame of Ruaha

Marc Mol
12-11-2016, 06:34 AM
What stories this old girl could tell, she was all of her 12+ years and possibly closer to 15 perhaps, seen here (dining on the right)from my recent post:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/138057-Senior-citizens-picnic-outing?highlight=

The sunken hound dog eyes and skull, the saggy jaw with canines reduced to mere pegs, she was in her twilight years for sure, but along with her sister this pair managed to bring down an adult female giraffe one hot afternoon, no easy feat!

Lions seldom bow out gracefully and end their years in a comfortable retirement home, so she bears testiment to a very fulfilled life.:cheers:

Being a portrait, I'm perfectly happy with the S/S and the slightly more negative space with a simply preference for my 4-6 format.:w3

Nikon D500
Nikkor 80-400 AF-S
1/500s
f/8
ISO1400@ 200mm.

F/F, bean bag from front pax seat, curves, levels, TK adj's in ACR & PS CC '15.

Ruaha Nat Park- Tanzania.

Cheers
Marc

Morkel Erasmus
12-11-2016, 11:28 AM
She is an old girl eh!
Nice clarity and details here mate. I might have gone square, but understand why you didn't.
The blooded hairs below the jaw adds context. Don't know how she ate with those teeth!

Rachel Hollander
12-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Hi Marc - She does look like she has been around though surprisingly not many scars. I like that we can see just a part of the kill in the bg. It provides context for the bloodied chin. I'm fine with the space. Nice details.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
12-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Many thanks Morkel & Rachel

Don't know how she ate with those teeth!

Grabbing and holding on was a bit of a problem for the old girl, however, from what I could see her carnassial's were in a better state as they do most of the work.

haseeb badar
12-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Hi Marc -- The eyes tell the whole story , and the blood stained chin is adding immensely. liked the framing as well , nicely done .

Did you in any way desaturated the giraffe , appears a bit off colour to me .

TFS !

Marc Mol
12-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Many thanks Haseeb.

Did you in any way desaturated the giraffe , appears a bit off colour to me .

TFS !

Although lacking somewhat in colour (for a fresh kill) , no desaturation applied to the giraffe Haseeb.

Mike Hitchen
12-12-2016, 05:28 PM
This is a really enlightening photograph. We are so used to getting photos of the animals in the prime of life with the flashing eyes and large, scary teeth that it is hard to remind ourselves that these magnificent animals also decline. Your picture has so much character that even late in life they have a story to tell. Thank you for posting it.

Jonathan Ashton
12-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Nicely composed the picture tells the story. I note the quite golden appearance of the ears, this really is an interesting image. I suppose she must have been quite a looker a few years ago.

Basil Dardagan
12-15-2016, 06:52 AM
What a cracking wildlife image ! It screams africa ! Absolutely love it

Mike Poole
12-15-2016, 08:44 AM
So much to like here Marc, the obvious history with the teeth, the blood on the chin and the kill, and of course the fantastic open mouthed pose with direct eye contact. This really is a superb shot IMHO.

Mike

Bryan Pereira
12-16-2016, 10:10 AM
love the bloody mouth! it looks like she was quite close and looking up a tad, possibly you were shooting from the side window? the only thing that would have made it perfect for me is if the vehicle was further forward and back for a straighter shot (easier said then done in the wild i know)
great image

Marc Mol
12-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Thanks Bryan

love the bloody mouth! it looks like she was quite close and looking up a tad, possibly you were shooting from the side window?

This was taken from the front pax seat (as stated in my description) not a pop top, next to my guide, with both front doors either side removed and directly at her eye level Bryan.