PDA

View Full Version : Snow Bunting Winter Meal.

Daniel Cadieux
12-09-2016, 05:35 AM
This fella was just as happy foraging for food in the cold and windy blizzard-like conditions as any bird can be! It often picked up small twigs and grass, like it did here, but mostly picking seeds off dry vegetation. This is the same general spot as my last bunting image, but as you can see winter has settled in...

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF, darkened the pupil and added the catchlight. The sloping ground is as it was.

Ian McLachlan
12-09-2016, 05:51 AM
What I like so much about this is that it gives the impression that its out in the middle of nowhere. Is this a young bird or in eclipse or have I got the colours wrong. Lovely soft colour mix.

Daniel Cadieux
12-09-2016, 06:44 AM
Thanks Ian, glad you like it! This a non-breeding (or winter) plumaged individual.

Bill Dix
12-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Brrr. I'm imagining you lying on your belly in the snow. That aside, this is a really sweet image. The bird's position may not be quite ideal (HA great but I might have liked to see more of the tail -- a minor nit); but the vegetation more than makes up for it. I particularly love the leaves in the lower left. I don't see how you kept the purple leaf relatively sharp when everything else in that plane appears oof.

Steve Kaluski
12-09-2016, 09:53 AM
A sweet image Dan, love the colour palette.

TFS
Steve

Mike Poole
12-09-2016, 11:29 AM
I love the setting on this one, and the control of the sites really makes this stand out. I'm not overly keen of the blurred snow against the background, it doesn't stand out enough for me to be useful, I'd be tempted to reach for some cloning tools.

The rest of the image is just about perfect though.

Mike

Geoffrey Montagu
12-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Love everything about this image, Daniel. Like the alert pose with the small twig in beak, and blizzard conditions with dried weed habitat. His winter plumage subtly blends in, but separates enough from the FG and BG. The blustery, swirling, snow streaks excellent with your ss.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

William Dickson
12-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Very nice Dan, it shows the temp perfectly. Love the pose and detail on the bird, with a fab BG.

Will

Joseph Przybyla
12-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Lovely image, Dan. I like the soft palette of colors. The snow looks real as I remember it from my years living up north. Thank you for sharing.

annmpacheco
12-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Very sweet Daniel, I love the habitat shot, your pov and the feeding behavior you captured. Brrrhhhh!

Krishna Prasad kotti
12-10-2016, 11:56 PM
Awesome Image. I like the Composition, Bird and Habitat..

Thank you for sharing the image...