PDA

View Full Version : First Macro Post - Poppy

Lana Hays
06-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I've been interested in trying some Macro photography for some time. With the price of gas, unpredictability of the birds, and hot weather I thought it would be a different perspective in viewing nature. While in Michigan, I had the opportunity to spend a great afternoon with Mike Moats and learn some basics.....what a terrific experience. So.....I dodged some lightening, hail, and tornadoes last week to collect some wildflowers nearby. I had to do the photography inside while the weather was raging outside. All I can say is........I really appreciate the gorgeous images that I see here......this is really hard. I'm not sure that I have the eye for this.....so I'm open to any and all help.

Canon 1D MkIIN, Sigma 150mm, tripod
ISO 400, 1/12 sec, f/2.8
DPP Raw Conversion, slight crop, USM

Julie Kenward
06-15-2008, 06:24 PM
I think your eye is great! Your DOF is spot on IMHO but I'd take a look at your magentas and reds and make sure you aren't clipping them...they seem just a tiny bit hot.

It's a fabulous first post, Lana! I, too, am dodging tornados and hail so I know how you feel...

Alfred Forns
06-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Glad you got to work with the master Lana !!!! Strong composition Love the use of color This is addictive !!!!

John Cooper
06-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Welcome Lana to the macro forum!! Your composition works for me - love the shallow DOF with just a small area in sharp focus to rest the eyes. The complimentry colours work great here!!

Mike Moats
06-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Hey Lana, WOW, your a fast learner from one afternnoon in the field. This is really well done. What a awesome color combination and perfect DOF, with a good focus point. My only suggestion would be to throw a lttle light with a reflector in the lower right side. You come right out of the gate with a very nice image.

Gus Cobos
06-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Fantastic image Lana,
I love the soft creamy feel to this...good show...:cool:

Robert O'Toole
06-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Very nice image, colors, details and light are great. I would like to see less dead space on the right side. The subject is "looking" out of the frame as is.

Robert

Sharna Lee
06-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Beautiful first macro Lana. I too have wanted to try my hand at this type of photography. I'd love to work with someone so well versed in it myself. Kudo's.
You did very good here. I like this a lot.

Sharna

Gordon Craig
06-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Hello Lana,

I think the picture you took is wonderful. I have attended several workshops with Mike; most recently in Oregon. I have always enjoyed them. I got a few nice poppy shots in Oregon. I would like to take more in Michigan.