PDA

View Full Version : Carlin Park in B&W

Don Lacy
12-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Sorry for my lack of posting and commenting been very busy at work. Here is a image from my favorite little stretch of beach not far from my house. Not as well known as Coral Cove park but still a very photogenic area. Not a lot of color in the sky so I went with a B&W conversion.

Canon 6D, 16-35 f/4IS at 16mm, 3.2s at f/16, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 100, single exposure and my normal processing techniques using luminosity mask the B&W conversion was done in Silver Efexs

John Whaley
12-03-2016, 10:02 AM
I am not entirely comfortable with the language of landscape critique. If it were a duck it would be go time. In any case I like the image. The long exposure, b&w and waves lining up for depth all working here.

Adhika Lie
12-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Hey Don, I hope work will go easy on you for the remainder of this year!

That foreground is fascinating! And the B&W works really well, the tonality is just spot on. This is highly subjective but I am not quite sure with the split 50-50 composition though. I feel that the sky somehow is taking away slightly from that beautiful FG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Lacy
12-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Hey Don, I hope work will go easy on you for the remainder of this year!

That foreground is fascinating! And the B&W works really well, the tonality is just spot on. This is highly subjective but I am not quite sure with the split 50-50 composition though. I feel that the sky somehow is taking away slightly from that beautiful FG.

I normally do not crop to square but did think about it for this image here is a crop version and you are right I think the foreground has more prominence with this crop.

dankearl
12-04-2016, 01:07 PM
The square crop works well for this, I was going to suggest a crop off the top.
This does the trick.
I like the processing, a nice look for the bland sky.

Adhika Lie
12-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Yep, I agree with Dan that the square crop works really well!

Jonathan Ashton
12-05-2016, 07:05 AM
Yes I like the suare crop too, a nicely balance image. I appreciate you didn't want the sky to takeover but I wonder about a bit more contrast up there?

Don Lacy
12-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Yes I like the suare crop too, a nicely balance image. I appreciate you didn't want the sky to takeover but I wonder about a bit more contrast up there?
With more contrast in the sky

Morkel Erasmus
12-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Don, the last repost nails it.
Sensitively converted, and good use of natural contrast.

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Hi Don, I agree that the last post is it...great scene, well caputred and looks great as a square crop...well done as usual!