PDA

View Full Version : Warning Cute Factor - Red Squirrels

Stephen Stephen
06-15-2008, 05:42 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Mammals/RedSquir08_03.jpg

Canon 40D & Sigma 50-500mm@ 313mm mounted on BushHawk 320D Pro, ISO 640, F 9. 1/80sec with Flash. Full frame image. Cloned out OOF branch.

While out on Saturday morning looking to create some bird images I came across this mother squirrel and her youngster. They were running along the trail but quickly moved a little ways off into the forest which had very low light conditions and forcing me to use my flash. I decided to leave this as a habitat image.

Youngster also tried to nurse several times and I was finally lining up to create an image of this scene when two other squirrels charged the pair and separated mom and child briefly.

Alfred Forns
06-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Stephen I like your set up with the BushHawk That is one sharp image at 1/80 !!!

I like the poses and eye contact, excellent exposure and detail One of the branches in the bg is particularly intrusive, the one by the little ones head Would try cloning out if its within your ethics I like it a lot !!!

Sid Overbey
06-16-2008, 08:57 PM
This is the kind of picture that makes you smile. Agree with Al's comments, but it is a nice shot either way.

Daniel Cadieux
06-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Very cute Stephen. Believe it or not despite the abundance of squirrels I have never seen a young one like this in the wild!! Good job with the low shutter speed.

Stephen Stephen
06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Thank you Al, Sid and Dan. I was pleased with the results. Al, I have concerns about cloning the branch other than those related to my PS skills.

Dan, I saw another mother and youngster a little farther along the Jack Pine trail by the boardwalk where we last saw the Moorhen.