View Full Version : Whooper Swan at Sunset

William Dickson
11-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/8
1/1000
ISO 800

This is one from a local loch at the weekend. I went along in the afternoon hoping to get some sunset shots, as it was a beautiful sunny day, with the winter sun low. Bitterly cold though, and found that the loch was frozen over when I arrived. I decided to stay until sunset, and I am glad I did. Not only did four Whoopers arrive, but, I managed to photograph a Glossy Ibis, which was flying over quite high up. This is the first Glossy Ibis to be recorded in Fife since 1844. Wished it had come closer :S3:

Will

Mike Poole
11-29-2016, 02:49 PM
I really like this one Will. Its good to get the underside without any noticeable shadows, and the light looks wonderful. Great details own the bird, and the flight path has fallen nicely with the BG. Well worth getting cold for!

Mike

keith mitchell
11-29-2016, 04:20 PM
You would not believe it was so cold for you when you look at the lovely warm look that bit of sun as given you,great detail and exposure on the Swan,very nice Will.

Keith.

Isaac Grant
11-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Very nice shot here Will. I like the wing position and your beautiful light. Glad you finally got some!!! I also really like the banking pose, extended neck and curled primaries. Exposure looks great as well.

Only thing I would try if mine would be to lower the contrast of the background a bit to see if that creates a bit more separation than you have. I would use Viveza for it and lower the contrast and structure a little to see if it helped. If not, then just cancel and be happy with this sweet shot you have here.

John Whaley
11-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Beautiful lighting on this one. Looks like a perfect exposure on the white feathers with lots of detail. Just a pleasing image.

Daniel Cadieux
11-30-2016, 05:50 AM
That is really beautiful, Will! Very good banking pose, and the sunlit BG looks great and warm. The darker area touching the foot could be lightened a bit IMO, but all else looks top notch to me. Oh, and congrats on spotting that rare Ibis!

Bill Dix
11-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Terrific banking pose in beautiful evening light. Good detail. Nicely done on all counts.

Geoffrey Montagu
11-30-2016, 06:23 PM
Outstanding capture, William. Love the setting sunlight creating those rich colors. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Brian Desjardins
12-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Hi Will , awesome shot, great pose, good details in the feathers, very nice BG, in all a very well done! TFS.

Brian.

Jonathan Ashton
12-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Lovely details Will and nice timing - a fine shot.

Matthew Jones
12-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Just amazing Will, super light and pose! I am wondering if you shot this from a hide or with the aid of camouflage as the swan looks to be nice and close judging from the detail you have captured.

David Salem
12-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Really nice William Love the evening light and the nice flight pose along with the nice BG and colors. Well done

William Dickson
12-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Hi Matthew, for this one, I wasn't in my hide, just standing behind my car at the side of the loch.

Will