PDA

View Full Version : Bison and calf at Kelly warm springs

Jonathan Ashton
11-28-2016, 08:09 AM
Canon 1DX Canon 100-400 L IS II @ 400mm ISO 2000 +0.3, 1/1250 f7.1
All C&C welcome.

Rachel Hollander
11-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Hi Jon - I like the simplicity of the image and the techs look good. Tones, color and detail also look good. I am guessing that it wasn't possible to get a lower pov due to the terrain. I do wish that the it was entirely grass without the tips of brush at the bottom of the frame but cropping them out makes it too tight at the bottom. Another image that shows the difference between being in the area in the spring/early summer vs. late summer/fall. When I've been there the bison calves still have their red coats.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
11-29-2016, 12:32 AM
Hi Jon -- Lovely scene here , with nice details and colours. I too wish for more space the bottom but then if it was not possible then IMO why not to crop from the top for better balance to the whole frame . Nice moment though !

TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
11-29-2016, 04:49 AM
Thanks Rachel, Haseeb, I couldn't go lower due to the plants in the foreground, cropping the top off works, I think I have become a bit of a slave to the crop preview!

Joseph Przybyla
11-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Lovely image, tender moment captured. I had a go at removing the bushes at the bottom using the Patch Tool in Photoshop CC. I apologize for removing your copyright along with the bush. Here is the result if your are inclined to do so.

Andreas Liedmann
11-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Hi Jon a very nice simple and very clean shot , of this moment when the no longer sweet calf is having a drink .
Like the contrast between the yellow grass and the reddish/brown Bisons , well handled tonality with loads of detail in the Bisons , very well processed Jon :cheers:
Are you still going with DPP .... or have you swapped to LR ?
I would just loose some of the top .... too much of dead space , from my POV .
Keep them coming from that trip .
TFS Andreas

D. Robert Franz
12-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Simple yet elegant!

Jonathan Ashton
12-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Thanks very much everyone for you comments and the rework Joe.
Andreas I have ben using ACR and DPP. I prefer the algorithms in ACR but I think the images are cleaner and in most cases more finely detailed in DPP