PDA

View Full Version : NamibRand Nightscape

Morkel Erasmus
11-27-2016, 04:06 PM
The Namib Rand Reserve is 202,000 hectares of unspoilt desert wilderness, where the Kalahari bleeds into the Namib desert in a clash of red dunes, camelthorn trees and mountains.
It's listed as an international dark sky reserve...you can see your shadow by starlight on a moonless night...

I captured this image with some moonlight from a quarter moon, and some light painting up front. A storm had been passing through all day and lightning was still striking all around.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f2.8 | 25 seconds | ISO-3200

Jonathan Ashton
11-28-2016, 10:00 AM
I didn't want to say amazing how about awe inspiring, whichever this really is a beautiful image that captures the imagination, it really must be a special experience to see something like this.
I like the processing, exposure and the beautiful light -how it recedes... great shot Morkel well done.

Morkel Erasmus
11-28-2016, 02:02 PM
I didn't want to say amazing how about awe inspiring, whichever this really is a beautiful image that captures the imagination, it really must be a special experience to see something like this.
I like the processing, exposure and the beautiful light -how it recedes... great shot Morkel well done.

Thanks - it really is a special place. It's listed as an international dark sky reserve...you can see your shadow by starlight on a moonless night!

Adhika Lie
11-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Very nice Morkel! Despite the faux color of the night sky, I really like the interpretation of this scene! The composition is superb and the clouds add a lot to the image.

Andrew McLachlan
12-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Very nice Morkel with the right amount of light painting and a lovely dark blue sky!

Don Lacy
12-02-2016, 05:42 PM
WOnderful image Morkel it is stunning.

dankearl
12-04-2016, 01:16 PM
The light painting is a bit too obvious for me. I like the sky but would tone down the FG.

Morkel Erasmus
12-05-2016, 12:15 AM
The light painting is a bit too obvious for me. I like the sky but would tone down the FG.

Thanks Dan. I actually only painted the tree and I think I can tone it down a bit there in post.

Julie Rathbone
12-05-2016, 04:02 AM
Looks great, I'm going there in September next year, second trip to Africa....follow your wildeye images, awesome...have that same camera/lens combo but adding the D5 for next time, what a machine that is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk