PDA

View Full Version : Theme Northern Hawk Owl with a morning snack....

Geoff Newhouse
11-27-2016, 07:04 AM
I've recently found a hotspot for these owls...basically a 2hr drive on the highway will net me 2-4 each time. Problem is most times they aren't in good locations. Wednesday's drive was the exception. I was able to work with this guy for over an hour. Most were nice perched shots that I will share later for their more clean, artistic look. This was immediately after he flew down and caught this prey (vole or mouse?). This was not baited, watched him do this live and missed the flight. He landed for 2 seconds in this tree and then wanted more privacy for his meal so flew into the forest. He downed the prey up in an evergreen tree and then came back out to the open trees to continue his portrait shoot for another half hour.

This was shot handheld (maybe if I'd brought my tripod out of the car I would have caught his dive for the prey....next time). Canon 1DX MkII, Canon 600 f/4ISII, f/5.6, 1/1600, 1600ISO. Obviously the branches he landed make for a bit of a mess but I still thought the shot was pretty cool with the dangling prey. Let me know what you think. I'll post a different frame later to see which you prefer as they are a bit different and both interesting in their own way.

Geoff Newhouse
11-27-2016, 07:05 AM
Here is the alternative frame....which one do you like better?

Mike Hitchen
11-27-2016, 01:13 PM
I think I just about prefer the second shot.
The first shot is almost a portrait and the branches are distracting. The second hot is behavioural and pulls me towards what the owl is doing - as a result it seems to lessen the impact the intrusion of the branches (sort of distracts me from the distraction,if you understand me).
Unfortunately it seems you did not have time to step a couple of paces to the right which may have taken the branches out of the equation.

A nice shot all the same and a reward for perseverance

arash_hazeghi
11-27-2016, 01:15 PM
I'd go for the first one, it's unfortunate it is so cluttered with the branches which really distracts from the subject. TFS

keith mitchell
11-27-2016, 02:01 PM
Geoff the branches are a bit of a distraction but do think the Owl which looks really good holds it's own,I go for the first one showing the((vole or mouse?). Vole off a lot better.Cracking Owl for you to work with.

Daniel Cadieux
11-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Bummer about the BG oof tree and branches, but I prefer the first of the two. Cool sighting you had. Nice and sharp, and the prey item is pretty cool.