PDA

View Full Version : Theme Making omlettes - Red Capped Plover

Matthew Jones
11-23-2016, 08:37 PM

Red-capped Plover (Charadrius ruficapillus)
NSW, Australia

Nikon D4 | Nikkor 500mm f4 II | 1.4x TC III | Boogie Board set up with Jobu designs BW jnr gimbal head, manual exposure | 1/1600 f/8 ISO 640

I was watching these guys a couple of years ago when I saw one pick up an egg shell (one of its own hatched eggs) and run off with it dropping it a few metres from where it started. A year later it happened again. On the third occasion I was ready and made this frame. I assume moving the egg shells around is a behaviour designed to confuse predators, but I'm guessing. Any one know why they do this??

Colin Driscoll
11-24-2016, 03:12 AM
Good planning Matt and a lovely shot, you could have a winner here I reckon. Maybe a whisker of ccw rotation needed? Yes most birds remove the eggshells to reduce the chance of predator attraction.

Matthew Jones
11-24-2016, 05:02 AM
Good planning Matt and a lovely shot, you could have a winner here I reckon. Maybe a whisker of ccw rotation needed? Yes most birds remove the eggshells to reduce the chance of predator attraction.

Thanks Colin. Not sure about the ccw, it looks OK to me but I'd like to hear what others think? Just seems weird they only move the egg shells randomly a few meters across the sand then drop them. Its not like there is any apparent benefit to what they are doing. I guess it makes sense to them. I have seen Oystercatchers just abandon the scrape after the eggs hatch and go about their business with chicks in tow paying no attention to the discarded shells. Terns, gulls etc the same thing.

dankearl
11-24-2016, 11:36 AM
Awesome angle and subject.
About perfect for me.

Joseph Przybyla
11-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Hey Matthew, lovely capture. I have never seen or knew about that behavior. Thank you for sharing.

Jim Crosswell
11-24-2016, 07:33 PM
I like the low angle, sharpness, exposure, shell and composition. Excellent image Matthew!

Satish Ranadive
11-25-2016, 12:21 AM
Excellent image in habitat. I like the colors, egg shell, low shooting angle and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

keith mitchell
11-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Excellent piece of work Mathew even the way the bird is holding the shell looks just right,these are beautiful little waders and you have done this one proud.

Keith.

Tim Foltz
11-26-2016, 12:21 AM
Cool shot Matt, I've noticed this behavior also with Least Terns. Nice low angle, sharp, nice HA and BG.

-Tim

Robert Kimbrell
11-26-2016, 10:22 AM
A beautiful image Mathew. The colors work very well here. Excellent moment captured and good shooting angle.

Matthew Jones
11-26-2016, 11:16 PM
Cool shot Matt, I've noticed this behavior also with Least Terns. Nice low angle, sharp, nice HA and BG.

-Tim

Thanks Tim, our Little Tern breeding season is just around the cnr so I will keep and eye out. Do they fly off with the empty shells?

Glenn Conlan
11-30-2016, 07:14 PM
This is a great capture Matt, perfect low angle with great colors and the egg shell behavior is shown well

Bill Dix
12-02-2016, 04:58 PM
This is really sweet! I missed it when it came around the first time a few weeks ago. A beautiful Plover that I had never seen before, at a perfect angle; great POV; excellent planning and execution. Congrats on the Theme.

Julie Rathbone
12-05-2016, 02:16 AM
Whimsical shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk