PDA

View Full Version : Theme Lioness sunrise.

Marc Mol
11-22-2016, 04:15 PM
A lioness sits and contemplates another beautiful sunrise.

With no one around and full approval from my guide, I slowly snuck out and captured this duo whilst lying underneath my vehicle.

Would have preferred just the closer lioness in the frame, but I was in no postion to ask her to move off. :bg3:

Laikipia- Northern Kenya.

Nikon D5
Nikkor 80-400 AF-S
f/9
1/250s
ISO100@ 130mm. Cropped top portion of vehicle chassis out, curves, levels in ACR & PS CC'15.

Cheers
Marc

Rachel Hollander
11-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Hi Marc - Nicely captured. I think the cub adds to the story. Getting low under the vehicle certainly paid off here. I'm a little surprised at the slow ss. I usually shoot silhouettes with a bit higher ss to underexpose more. I see a halo/hard edge along the back of the lioness.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
11-23-2016, 01:15 AM
Thanks Rachel

I think the cub adds to the story.

TFS,
Rachel

Although it does look like a cub with those ears, they are actually both full grown adults Rachel. :S3:
Agree about the S/S, and f/9.......that was an error. :e3

Dumay de Boulle
11-23-2016, 04:39 AM
Very nice image, can't add anything other than that. I would love to see it in a A1 print.

haseeb badar
11-23-2016, 09:57 AM
Hi Marc -- Well thought out image and works very well as well . Those OOF tall grass blades are adding to this image , well seen and executed. Loved it .

TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
11-23-2016, 10:36 AM
I like it very much - I also like the second lion the composition holds well for me.

Matthew Jones
11-25-2016, 01:15 AM
I really like this Marc, colours, comp and second lioness all work well to my eye, TFS

Morkel Erasmus
11-25-2016, 12:09 PM
Nice angle and composition here, good mood.
I think going faster on SS would also have helped the appearance of the sun?

Bryan Pereira
11-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Very Nice! I cant decide if I like the second lion in the shot though, im thinking the distance is perfect but perhaps moving the vehicle forward so the front lion is hiding the back one, you can then frame her on a 3rd for another interesting composition. easier said than done in the wild though i know!
beautiful capture

Gabriela Plesea
11-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Hello Marc,

For a change I won't be complaining about SS... Maybe it was an error, but I thought about this a lot and I quite like the softness here, IMO it adds so much to the mood:)
Creative framing from you and I especially like the space you have given the lioness in the FG. I really wish you did not tell us the other one is not a cub, I had this "mother and daughter" scenario in my head:tinysmile_shy_t:

I also like the warmth/colours and those tall grasses touched by the gentle breeze. Overall this frame truly moves me Marc, and I just miss those royal beasts too much...

Kind regards,

Marc Mol
11-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Many thanks Bryan, Dumay, Haseeb, Morkel, Gabriela, Matthew & Johnathan

perhaps moving the vehicle forward so the front lion is hiding the back one, you can then frame her on a 3rd for another interesting composition. easier said than done in the wild though i know!

That would have been a little problematic, granted that I was actually lying under the vehicle as the BG lion entered the scene.:bg3: