PDA

View Full Version : Northern Hawk-Owl

Glenn Bartley
12-26-2007, 05:38 PM
I captured this image of a wild Northern Hawk-owl a few weeks ago in Stoney Creek Ontario. When I set out that day I was really hoping to have an opportunity to photograph the bird on a not-too-high perch. The bird cooperated and landed on this fantastic stump offering me, and several other photographers, a great image-making opportunity.

As a side note - I'm really looking forward to participating in this forum with a group of extremely talented moderators and participants. Its going to be great!

Camera Model: Canon EOS 30D
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +2/3
Flash: Manual mode at 1/1 with better beamer
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 320
Focal length: 500mm f/4 IS + 1.4x
Full frame :)

Jim Neiger
12-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Beautiful image, Glenn! I really like the bg and the perch. The snow on the perch adds alot to the image as well. I've never seen or photographed one of these Owls, so I'm totaly jealous. Well done!

Maxis Gamez
12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
You have a very nice image here Glenn. Like Jim said, the BG and perch are awesome, not to mention the details and colors. Excellent work!

Jasper Doest
12-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Glenn, I am an owl fan....and these ones are one of my favorites. I can imagine the thrill of photographing such a beauty. In my opinion you've done an excellent job. Both perch and background really match the bird well. The only thing that you might want to change is to show a bit more detail in the snow at the bottom of the perch....nitpicking...I know....but it would take this over the top...and this photograph is worth that.

Jody Melanson
12-27-2007, 09:20 AM
You couldn't ask for a better perch Glenn! The background is fabulous and the eye contact really makes this.

It was good to meet a fellow photographer and see him get his first great opportunity for shooting this guy. :)

Alfred Forns
12-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Just perfect Glenn !!! Particularly like the bg gradient !!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Wow !! I agree just perfect. The perch and touch of snow not to mention the incredibly beautiful owl makes this a winner !!! The awesome BG could not be better

Gus Cobos
03-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Very nice shot Glenn, Like it alot...:D Love the colors, background, details and bird placement...:)

Aidan Briggs
10-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Wonderful shot Glenn, I love that pose.

Mark Schmitt
10-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Splendid. I do agree that the snow in the low part of the perche could use some more deffinition. Great shot!!!