PDA

View Full Version : Theme Gotcha!

Bill Dix
11-21-2016, 09:04 AM
I found this Green Heron image in some old files, captured at Venice Rookery in 2012. I scanned the BPN archives and I don't think I've posted it before. My processing skills may have improved since then, but I thought it fit the theme even though his catch is miniature.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 400, 1/2500s @ f/6.3 manual.

Mike Poole
11-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Great timing on this one Bill, the pose is superb. I like the processing as well with the deep colours.

Mike

Daniel Cadieux
11-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Neat hunting behaviour, it's cool when they perch above the water and snatch prey items below. You've portrayed that nicely here. A bit of a messy habitat - I realize that is often what they prefer! I am a bit perplexed by the splash's luminosity and clarity compared to the water immediately surrounding it.

Bill Dix
11-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks Guys. Daniel, when I processed this back in 2012, I selected the bird and the splash and sharpened them; I darkened some of the remaining background which was in contrasty sunlight and very distracting. That contributed to the "perplexing" condition of the splash. When I discovered this file the other day, I didn't take the time to go back and reprocess the original, thus my comment above. Although I'm not sure exactly what I would have done differently with the splash today. Any suggestions?

Satish Ranadive
11-22-2016, 02:22 AM
Excellent image. Nice pose with beautiful tiny fish. Love the water droplets.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
11-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks Bill. As for suggestions, it is tough to say without seeing the original file, but perhaps just selectively brightening some of the splashing spots via the doge tool could be an option.