PDA

View Full Version : Kalahari Male Lion

Rachel Hollander
11-20-2016, 06:04 PM
I got a chance to see some of the dark maned Kalahari male lions for myself at Tswalu. It was a bit late in the morning when we found the two brothers and all they seemed interested in at that point was sitting or laying at the side of the road.

Canon 5D3
100-400 II @ 400mm
1/2000
f5.6
ISO 800
HH from safari vehicle, ff, levels, curves, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
11-21-2016, 07:32 AM
A beautiful looking lion if ever I saw one. I like the eye contact and the variegated mane colours with the grasses in the foreground.

keith mitchell
11-21-2016, 08:42 AM
I think this is lovely Rachel I do like the real natural feel to this with the Magnificent Lion blending in with the grasses even the ones that cover a bit of the face,can't think of anything I would like to change.

Keith.

Marc Mol
11-21-2016, 09:10 AM
I believe the Kalahari males are THE biggest and best looking lions in all of Africa, and this one fits the bill nicely Rachel, don't mind the grass beard either. The Kalahari colours look spot on, plus you garnered his attention quite well.

TFS

Rachel Hollander
11-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Thanks Jon, Keith and Marc, much appreciated.

haseeb badar
11-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Hi Rachel -- I liked the look and lovely warm colours . Nice details and sharpness , that OOF grass blade in front of its nose is a bit of -ve element for me but cant help .

is that a fly or a dust spot in the BG ?

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
11-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Thanks Haseeb, it's a fly.

Dumay de Boulle
11-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Nice mature Male, great colors of the Kalahari and lovely eye contact.
Personal taste is that I may have gone with less space on the right and more on the left.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Hi Rachel, a nice portrait of this impressive male lion! Love the colours and eye contact. Good techs as usual. TFS.

Morkel Erasmus
11-21-2016, 12:14 PM
You still managed a nice portrait with the complementary colours of the Kalahari soil and grass around him, with a fair bit of interest in his gaze.
Trust you loved seeing lions this pristinely beautiful :)

Mike Poole
11-21-2016, 04:21 PM
Magnificent stare and a shot that just oozes the show of power on offer here. Great colours, a very nice frame.

Mike

Rachel Hollander
11-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks folks. He really is a powerful male in his prime.

Steve Kaluski
11-22-2016, 04:19 AM
Hi Rachel, personally a bit more FG for me, as you would still retain the lovely gaze and contact with the viewer. Like the colours here, but could look good in B/W?

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
11-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Hi Rachel , yes the best lions in the world . the kalahari ones !!
Impressive male , well captured . I really love those Kalahari colors , and you processed them nicely .
Lovely tonal range with all the nice fine details clearly visible .
Very nice work Rachel , TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
11-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Dear Rachel,

This is your loveliest lion image ever posted, IMO - love the warmth, those rich colours, stunning light!

I must admit, every time I saw the word " Kalahari" above, my heart sank... I miss the place and its creatures, been there fourteen times and still long to go back, I plan my next getaway every day...

Colours spot-on and the expression you have captured goes straight to my heart. Love the way the vegetation frames this beautiful face, those knowing eyes tell his story. I would love a close-up of this male if you have:)

Thank you for sharing Rachel, I took a great deal of pleasure viewing this frame, food for my soul...

Wishing you a pleasant evening,

Rachel Hollander
11-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Thanks Steve, Andreas and Gabriela.:wave:

D. Robert Franz
12-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Powerful image of a magnificent lion here. I might have explored a portrait composition or just moved a bit left with a bit less dead space on the right. Great complimentary colors here!