PDA

View Full Version : Elephant drinking

Steve Kaluski
11-19-2016, 10:30 AM
Whilst we patrolled around the spillway a small herd of elephants came down for a very quick drink, staying only a few minutes before disappearing back into the bush. The late afternoon light provided a nice 'warmth' to the overall mode..

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Elephant drinking
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400 f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO1600 EV -0.67
Original format: Landscape, very small crop on the sides FF top/bottom
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

Rachel Hollander
11-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Hi Steve - Love the warm lighting and the texture you've brought out. Detail looks great, particularly on the tusk. There's a little bit of blue in the shadows but I find it natural. A classic drinking pose.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-19-2016, 11:33 AM
There's a little bit of blue in the shadows but I find it natural.

Yep. :S3:

Mike Poole
11-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Gorgeous light which really emphasises the texture of the Ele. I like the dripping water as a bit of added interest, pity there is not a little bit of a visible eye, it would have given a bit extra to the shot.

Mike

Gabriela Plesea
11-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Dear Steve,

You know how much I like this and why. The detail is incredible and the light falling on the subject is just superb.

An enviable frame: love the fluorescence of the tusk and physical features of the subject, so well revealed by your careful PP work.

Well composed and presented, great IQ, ready for print:)

Thank you so much for sharing:cheers:

Have a wonderful evening Steve,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Steve, I like this a lot! Terrific IQ, wonderful texture & fine detail with the light highlighting the creases of the pachyderm beautifully. Well done. TFS.

Steve Kaluski
11-20-2016, 01:12 PM
Thanks folks.

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
11-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Classic shot, the dark BG really adds some pop to this one, Steve!

haseeb badar
11-21-2016, 05:36 AM
Hi Steve -- Excellent IQ Steve , I liked that dripping water and the dark BKG . Great way to show someone like me that how it is done . Loved it .

If i would have been in your position during this shot then I might have opted for f 7.1 to be safe but 5.6 has worked here .

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
11-21-2016, 05:55 AM
I might have opted for f 7.1 to be safe but 5.6 has worked here .

True Haseeb, but being side on there was enough, or perhaps just, certainly plenty of ISO in the bag. :bg3:

Dumay de Boulle
11-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Amazing IQ and details as always, The shadows have been handled well considering the angle of the light. Exposure on the tusks are perfect.

Nice one Steve!

Andreas Liedmann
11-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Hi Steve , have you found the blacks again :t3
Well this does look better to me from that POV , nice deep blacks and still detail where i except them to be , having the lighting in my mind .
Techs spot on and the usual high quality output .Lovely detail and the dripping water is a nice addition for some little dynamic .The hide does look sooooo good in terms of detail and sharpness !!!!!!!
The blues are a bit too strong for my taste , i might back off ever so slightly with the sat in the blues . For a bit more popping of the elephant i might give the grass a bit less exp, makes the elephant stand out more , a matter of taste for sure .

Fine job done , Steve
TFS Andreas