PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Sisters

Steve Kaluski
11-15-2016, 06:23 AM
This particular pride love to take time out and chase Impala in their dreams it seemed, this is why I personally am not a great lover of Lions, well except for one particular group in another location that were to die for, but not literally :bg3:.

As it was just the three of us, including the Ranger it meant I could have a play, as this was shot remotely and tethered, took a chance and what might have been an expensive one if things went pear shape, but hey... The clipped paw isn't an issue and if I remember rightly, there was more mounds in front so this was the best sighting, although I could move up & down, side to side remotely too, ooh boys with toys.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lioness's (Panthera leo) sleeping
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 MKII with 1.4MKII supported (plus additional kit)
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/11 ISO6400 EV +0.33
Original format: landscape, very small crop on the sides FF top/bottom
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

Joseph Przybyla
11-15-2016, 07:03 AM
I love this image... a tender moment captured perfectly. The image makes me feel I was there. Thank you for sharing, Steve.

Rachel Hollander
11-15-2016, 07:24 AM
Hi Steve - excellent detail and low pov. Glad you got to play with your toys and certainly a fun experiment but the image doesn't grab me with the eyes closed and the grass across the face on the right. Sorry.

TFS,
Rachel

Giovanni Frescura
11-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Hello
Also me no loves lions expecially when they are slleping (normally...). The shoot is nice as photo but no give more ..; I no like different space between right and lefts side

Stuart Philpott
11-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Interesting use of toys Steve !!. Love the pov and something just so tender about the frame not sure on the paw Steve,hmmm. But we get what we can and how one "gets" this "intimacy is amazing in it's self. Steve the tenderness is what grabs me with this frame that the iso(obviously) and the DOF,the precision of the dof is wonderful
take care

Stu

Gabriela Plesea
11-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Dearest Steve,

I am probably one of the greatest lover of lions there is. So for me personally, a close-up with some nice detail of the nose, whiskers, and some eyelashes too, is always a winner:) Very nice techs and perfectly exposed, great POV. Superb detail.

I just want to lie down next to those lionesses and place my head next to theirs. I might even put up with their breath...Nothing could possibly put me off about this species. I particularly like the closeness you have captured - those girls can establish amazing bonds that last for years and their affection is so obvious here. The framing could not be better, Steve.

Well processed as expected and I really do not mind the grasses here and there, they add to the scene. Not sure what time of the day you captured this but the two seem quite sleepy and relaxed, well the one on the LHS opened one eye slightly - she might have heard the shutter?

Thank you for sharing, Steve. I really enjoyed this, made me think of those wonderful encounters I have had with lions over the years. I sometimes fell asleep in the vehicle, waiting for them to wake up:) Tell me please, were those paws moving as the lionesses were dreaming...

Warmest regards,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Hi Steve, this is really cool. Love the POV you have captured and the detail is superb. Nicely composed as well. TFS.

haseeb badar
11-17-2016, 03:44 AM
Hi Steve -- Again i will have to stand by my previous comments that you are one of the best proponents of tight portraits and this is no exception either. The viewer is immediately directed towards the moment where both the lionesses are relaxing and appears as if both are having a similarly calm dream of something pleasant. Nice details again. I would have pushed the midtones a bit more as it looks slightly flat to me .

Works for me, TFS !

Steve Kaluski
11-17-2016, 05:07 AM
Thanks folks, and a big thank you to Gabriela.

You are still all in our thoughts and I hope no one minds if I say, 'we ALL appreciate anytime you comment and post', but really looking forward to the day when you feel happy to return. :wave:

Haseeb, many thanks, but here I had to guess with a fixed lens hence the tight crop, as this was all remotely done as I mentioned. I'm OK on the mid tones, in fact this went off to print over 6 weeks ago with more mid tone, I did not like the result personally, but nothing I could do by then, so I re processed it prior to uploading yesterday.:w3

Gabriela Plesea
11-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Thank you, Steve.

As you know, BPN is my home. I miss you all, and grateful for those numerous emails and messages that never stopped coming - they mean so much to me. I plan to be here just about every night as soon as I have sorted a couple of things, I have made some major decisions and I plan to stick with them. It does seem to take longer than I anticipated so please bear with me...

Busy to upload an image, just to show you my commitment. I am a bit rusty when it comes to PP work but I do welcome your input as always. With a bit of help I'll get back in shape again, Steve:)

Warmest regards,

Andreas Liedmann
11-17-2016, 03:36 PM
Hi Steve you have captured a lovely intimate moment here , the beasts does look so peaceful with their heads sticking to each other .
IQ does look great as always and the colors are top notch , you made some excellent use of your boys toy ( whatever that is ) . Would love to hear details ..... i think not easy to work tethered with that gun :e3.
I know you prefer to work flat in the tones .... for some time now :t3... from my POV the blacks and the 3/4 are a tad too flat . The gap in the histogram is too big , for me , but for sure a matter of taste .

Nice cool work and a emotional output , so well done

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
11-17-2016, 03:46 PM
The gap in the histogram is too big , for me , but for sure a matter of taste .

I don't want the Blacks & Shadows right on the edge Andreas, I'm now leaving them with a gap to retain more detail and I'm happy with the Histogram in LR because it's still within the relevant sections. The nostrils for example will just go solid and clipped, with choked detail IMHO. :w3

Andreas Liedmann
11-17-2016, 03:51 PM
I know where you coming from and one might loose some detail :w3 , but for the price of some nice depth IMHO :w3..... matter of taste :bg3: . So no problem .

Steve Kaluski
11-17-2016, 03:59 PM
You'll know where I'm coming from before Xmas. Ho Ho Ho. :bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
11-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Hey Santa ..... have i been nice enough ? :bg3:

Jonathan Ashton
11-20-2016, 03:00 PM
I think this is outstanding, the texture colours and angle - wow we are almost up a lion's nose! The details are as ever amazing. They look like butter wouldn't melt in their mouths, I am sure you are wrong about the impala!