View Full Version : Waxwing Take Off Pose

William Dickson
11-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/5.6
1/2500
ISO 3200

I went against my doctors orders, after him telling me to rest my left arm for a while. Hence the reason, recently submitting images from my hide with tripod.

But, when a flock of over 100 Waxwings appear on the outskirts of a local village, well the arm can take a wee while longer to heal. :S3: I couldn't miss this opportunity and went handheld.

The flock would all fly onto a rowan tree, where they would eat for about 1 minute, then all would take off together and perch on a high tree about 100 yards away. About 15 minutes later they would come back to feed. This procedure went on all day long. I found the birds difficult to photograph, as they were so fast, and blended into the tree, which made it awkward to get a good BG and separation. I managed to capture this one as it was feeding on berries on a low branch, then took off, along with the rest.

Will

arash_hazeghi
11-15-2016, 01:51 AM
love the dynamic pose but the quality isn't there unfortunately, the details are a bit lacking and have a water-color look as a result of too much NR. TFS

Satish Ranadive
11-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Excellent flight shot.

Kind Regards,
Satish.

Jim Crosswell
11-15-2016, 09:22 AM
I like the pose, berries and composition. If the bird was sharper this would have been a killer image. Still a nice image Will.

keith mitchell
11-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Very nearly there Will,if this had been sharp you would really have a cracker,well done with what you have got.

Keith.

William Dickson
11-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Thanks for that, much appreciated

Will