PDA

View Full Version : Big horned sheep

Jonathan Ashton
11-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L ISO @320mm ISO 3200 1250 sec f8
I reckon he is the daddy! It was just after 9am so still pretty cold and back lit, I hope you think the colours are realistic.
All C&C welcome

Rachel Hollander
11-14-2016, 08:51 PM
Hi Jon - Looks like a big, strong ram. I wish his head was raised a bit more. You don't say whether this is cropped. I would prefer a bit more room below if you have it. Colors look ok given that the body is shaded. You could also reduce the blues if you wanted. Seems like you saw a good variety of wildlife on your trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-15-2016, 03:25 AM
Hi Jon, nice early start, looks like a 'fresh' morning, love those days.

Colours look good, no concerns of blue for me, as it does look a coolish start as I said, but I wonder about emphasising the highlights and bringing a tad more warmth/saturation to the environment, just to push it a tad more with the light? I assume the light was behind this fellow, so not much tonal contrast/range in the shadow area of the visible side, as it would have been nice to have got some more form in the body and detail in the horn. Could you have used some Fill-in flash here. I just wondered about a pano with less above??

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
11-15-2016, 04:09 AM
Thanks Rachel and Steve, this is a full frame image - no cropping.I reduced the blues and magentas and red in the fist image, in this repost more so. The odd thing is as i removed the magentas the red began to appear, I suspect it is the cold colour temp that messes things up a bit - along with me that is!
Have to confess having spotted this ram and getting out of the car the only think I thought was 1DX 100-400 so I never gave the flash a thought. I hope I have put a bit more form/detail in this one??
If any one wishes to reprocess I am happy to send the raw.

haseeb badar
11-15-2016, 05:40 AM
Hi Jonathan -- I am enjoying the images that you are posting, lots of variety . This is one powerful looking creature and loved the fact that you have managed to showcase its environment. I too wished for a raised head but then it is not always in our hands. Your RP certainly looks better as it gives more pop to the subject .

TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
11-15-2016, 06:44 AM
Haseeb, I have some with the head raised, perhaps post one later. One of the principal reasons for selecting this image was the visible breath, it is not so clear on some of the other images.

Joseph Przybyla
11-15-2016, 07:08 AM
Lovely animal, nicely shown. Not sure where you are but from the images you must be somewhere in the North American west. Others more experienced than I can comment on the techs. Thank you for sharing.

Jonathan Ashton
11-15-2016, 08:18 AM
Lovely animal, nicely shown. Not sure where you are but from the images you must be somewhere in the North American west. Others more experienced than I can comment on the techs. Thank you for sharing.
Jo I went to North & West Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons.

Steve Kaluski
11-15-2016, 10:22 AM
Hi Jon, thanks for the opportunity.

Just my take based on my original feedback.

cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
11-16-2016, 04:43 PM
I like the colours and contrasty light here, a very artsy shot in that respect. I do think the OP was a bit flat, and like what Steve did in the RP.
I might play with cropping some off the top for more symmetry, given you said it's FF and feels a tad tight below...