PDA

View Full Version : Sibling Rivalry

Rachel Hollander
11-11-2016, 08:18 AM
These are the same two lions I posted a few weeks ago with one snarling while cradling a piece of a kill. Here's a few frames later where the other brother got a bit too close to the food.

Canon 5D3
300 II
1/750
f5.6
ISO 1600
Monopod from safari vehicle, cropped to 8x10 to eliminate bright grasses on right and from the left to preserve lion's modesty:w3, levels, curves, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

keith mitchell
11-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Rachel did you get all the growls and threats when taking this?must have been a great encounter .Looked hard and must admit I don't think I would look to change anything,all looks great to me.

Keith.

Mike Poole
11-11-2016, 11:08 AM
I like the close up action in this one, the framing works well. The lions face could possibly take a bit of a lift, and I can almost hear Steve shouting 'raise the ISO' !

Mike

Steve Kaluski
11-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Hi Rachel,

can almost hear Steve shouting 'raise the ISO' !
Spot on Mike, the blurred paw and overall IQ would have been far better I feel and as Jonathan has illustrated, the camera still works if you increase the ISO to a higher rating :bg3:, but you would not have needed to have gone to 25k, just 3200 or 4k would have been sufficient. SS of say 1/2500 or 1/3200 would have been where I feel you should have been and the ISO would have been what it need to be. I find the almost 'mirrored' mouth and teeth a bit unfortunate, as the viewer has to look quite hard IMHO to understand the position of both heads???? The image also has the appearance of being slightly more contrasty (Blacks/Shadows being more dominate) compared to previous images to me. I'm OK on the framing, although personally I might have come in a fraction more on the LH trim so you had a solid line of the leg, without any vegetation.

With this type of action Rachel a much higher SS would have been the way to go I feel, especially as you shoot in Manual and any noise you could easily address in PP.

TFS
Steve

haseeb badar
11-12-2016, 03:40 AM
HI Rachel -- I liked the moment, and it is very well framed. But I agree with more ss and contrast thing , blacks are appearing quite strong here . Also i see cyan creeping in the whites of the BKG lion and on the shoulder of the dominant one .

TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
11-12-2016, 11:58 AM
I like it, the young lion's head looks sharp to me, the left leg and paw show some blurring inferring movement (even if partly due to DOF). All those canines look a little busy at first but then this is how it was. Just a tiny bit of clipping - probably occurred at conversion.

Rachel Hollander
11-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys for all the comments and suggestions. I'll take a look at the contrast and the blacks. Haseeb - I'm not seeing the cyan but will take another look.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Marc Mol
11-13-2016, 12:59 PM
I like the tension depicted here Rachel,

the twisted head of the rival is difficult to see upon first viewing and do agree with Steve's suggestion for a higher S/S in this case which would have ensured a sharper paw swipe unless that was your original intention?

I can see just a very very slight cyan cast but hardly noticeable for mine.

TFS