PDA

View Full Version : Hovering Eagle

Robert O'Toole
06-15-2008, 08:51 AM
This is one of my favorites made on a trip to Katmai Alaska this week. I was glad to lead an IPT group for Arthur Morris while he was in the UK. Thanks for the privilege Artie!
This image was made about 10:30 PM or so handheld from a boat right offshore of a small grassy island with 15-20 mph west winds at our backs (we were protected from most of the wind). Eagle photography opportunities just doesnt get any better than this!

In this type of situation photography with a tripod is very difficult and not really worth the effort. Participants with hand holdable lenses such as the100-400 or 400 F5.6 were making great images!
Many of Katmai's bays and harbors are filled with small islands, sometimes you can see 3 or 4 pairs (breeding pairs) of Bald Eagles nesting or just perching on these islands in one small area. There are so many situations like this its really amazing.
I am leading 3 workshop groups To Katmai this year, 2009 and 2010. The next trip in July is full but there are available spots in later trips. Please contact me for more information if you would like to join me.

We also photographed Brown bears, otters, puffins, Black Oystercatchers, seals, sea lions on the trip.

Canon EF600mm f/4L IS USM and EOS 40D handheld
Copyright: © 2008 Robert OToole Photography
1/2500 sec @ 4.5 Manual mode ISO: 320

Sharna Lee
06-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Sweet! Robert your work is inspirational. I can only hope to be able to take a picture kind of like this one day.
Thank you for sharing your specs. as they help me A LOT!

Sharna

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Wow Robert it looks like you had a wonderful trip with lots of opportunities and if this is any indicationn of what it was like it must have been awesome. Gorgeous action in this captue and I love the composition. Great work !!!!

Gus Cobos
06-15-2008, 10:24 AM
WOW...:eek: Talking about landings...:D Great capture Robert. I love the wing spread and landing position...great shot. The details and colors on the eagle are great...:cool:

Steve Wheeler
06-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Amazing image... Got to love the light, pose and composition. Too bad it's necessary to add the signature across the bottom... but I understand.

Steve

Jay Tan
06-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Super lighting and pose! The green grass at the bottom adds a layered perspective. Great stuff Robert! :)

Robert O'Toole
06-15-2008, 12:43 PM
WOW...:eek: Talking about landings...:D Great capture Robert. I love the wing spread and landing position...great shot. The details and colors on the eagle are great...:cool:

Hi Gus!

Thanks for the comments.
He wasnt landing thought just hovering in the wind when I took the image, we were near his island so he was trying to stand his ground and intimidate us! We didnt go too close, this was made with a 600, or land on the island to avoid stressing them too much or driving the 2 off.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
06-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Amazing image... Got to love the light, pose and composition. Too bad it's necessary to add the signature across the bottom... but I understand.

Steve

I forgot about the Sig, I usually dont add a Sig on my BPN images, but I had it prepared already so I used the image as is. You should see how good it looks at 1500-2000 pixels without a Sig of course.

Robert

Steve Wheeler
06-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I can only imagine Robert... It's an outstanding image.

Steve

David Steele
06-15-2008, 12:50 PM
You made the most of a wonderful opportunity Robert. What a pose! The composition, lighting and colours are all superb.

Fabs Forns
06-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Sweet, Robert, welcome back!!!!! You sure were missed around the Garden, we minded the store.

Fantastic wing position and light shinning on his under wings!

Doug Brown
06-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Terrific composition, and I love the spread wings! Looks like you had ideal light also. Congrats!

Harold Davis
06-15-2008, 05:57 PM
600mm handheld?!!!! wow, now that's worth an A+ right there!! love the image. looks fantastic. the grass is an added bonus here!!

Bonnie Block
06-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Great image, Robert! Super light and an unusual angle.
Wish I could come! Maybe sometime!

Robert O'Toole
06-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Sweet, Robert, welcome back!!!!! You sure were missed around the Garden, we minded the store.

Fantastic wing position and light shinning on his under wings!

Thanks Fabs, I missed you guys too thanks for all the help as always :)

The light was perfect @ about 10:30 PM! Days are 21 hours or so up there :eek:

Robert

Brian Wong
06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
This is one of my favorites made on a trip to Katmai Alaska this week.

Canon EF600mm f/4L IS USM and EOS 40D handheld
Copyright: © 2008 Robert OToole Photography
1/2500 sec @ 4.5 Manual mode ISO: 320

Hi Robert and welcome back!

I am wiping my eyes:D ... EOS 40D handheld???? What is happening in the universe ... can this be possibly correct???:confused:

Fantastic image, as always! Sounds like so much fun ... and I will need to see if I can join you! Do you have a schedule for next year yet?

Robert O'Toole
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks Brian!

Yes, tripods just dont work well from a moving boat, I had the whole group handholding. Some were converted after they had a chance to see the handheld images vs. tripod mounted :)

2009-2010 dates are set I will PM you.

Robert