PDA

View Full Version : Theme Backlit juvenile stag

Mike Poole
11-08-2016, 11:20 AM

Took this a couple of weeks back on an early morning trip out. I keep coming back to it as I can see a few different ways of processing it - do I go for deeper blacks, or keep it in the softer light i shot it in.

in the end, I went for something along the lines of the light at the time, keeping the PP simple, just setting the black point had a fairly dramatic effect on the shot. I gave a small contrast boost to emphasise the breath.

Full frame as shot,

Canon 1dx
500mm f4is
1/640th f4
ISO 2500

Mike

Stuart Philpott
11-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Spendide Mike, I can't give you your answers on post you know that but the image works for me,I love the breath, I want him a bit back in frame ,but I have to seriously nit pick to go there it's mm's but you guys do that !! Again as with John a guy on a hill beautifully captured!! I'll watch how this opens up it will be interesting to read through . Stunning for me Mike i would change very little wonderful rim light.

take care buddy thanks on the reds very kind one day !!

Stu

Rachel Hollander
11-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Hi Mike - I like this a lot with beautiful fall colors and nice rim light. The breath takes it up a notch. You've also maintained good detail on the stag. It works quite well as is but you can also go a bit further with the rim light on just the stag and then I also darkened the midtones to slightly emphasize the breath a bit more. With these types of images it's all a matter of personal taste and your vision as the photographer.

TFS,
Rachel

D. Robert Franz
11-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Both versions of this image are very good. Love the steamy breath! Backlight was handled perfectly :cheers:

Jonathan Ashton
11-10-2016, 04:44 AM
I like it Mike, I appreciate you may have produced several different versions and each one would have it's own appeal. I am torn over both versions!

haseeb badar
11-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Hi Mike -- Absolutely fantastic . The breath is working wonders for this image . I liked both the versions and as far as techs are concerned i might have stopped down to atleast 5.6 by pushing more of the iso . Lovely image !

TFS !

Mike Poole
11-10-2016, 07:46 AM
Hi Mike - I like this a lot with beautiful fall colors and nice rim light. The breath takes it up a notch. You've also maintained good detail on the stag. It works quite well as is but you can also go a bit further with the rim light on just the stag and then I also darkened the midtones to slightly emphasize the breath a bit more. With these types of images it's all a matter of personal taste and your vision as the photographer.

TFS,
Rachel

Thanks Rachel,

This does work well. What I was wary of was pushing things too far and making it look false, but yours has stopped short of that and as you say, emphasises the rim light a bit more.

Mike

Stu Bowie
11-12-2016, 08:36 AM
Hi Mike, I like the rim lighting on the Stag, and just enough light on his coat to show up well enough. I also like the various colours in the BG, but the visible breath is what takes it over the top for me. An opportunity definitely well taken. :w3

Morkel Erasmus
11-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Lovely light and low angle here, and that breath takes it over the top!
I like what Rachel did in her repost.