PDA

View Full Version : On guard

Steve Kaluski
11-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Another image from the Buffalo kill Rachel and I encountered.

Taken later on in the morning where the two boys had move the carcass and the sun was more prevalent, lighting up the mane of the other brother as the other looked on, watching the others in the dry channel.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lions (Panthera leo) feeding on Buffalo carcass
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400 f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/500s at f/5.6 ISO2000 EV +0.67
Original format: Portrait, small crop for presentation from the top
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

If I shot this again I would have had no hesitation in cranking up the ISO and SS more 1/2000+

D. Robert Franz
11-07-2016, 04:13 PM
A very intense tight portrait here. Would have liked to see the eyes of the lioness in the rear! Amazing scene for sure :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
11-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Would have liked to see the eyes of the lioness in the rear!

Interesting Dale, as I just liked the idea that the lion felt quite at ease to feed, whilst his brother look on, thus emphasising the concentration & stare, whilst - on guard. Proves we all see things differently. :S3:

Thanks

Rachel Hollander
11-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Hi Steve - Still an epic sighting. Excellent detail in both the kill and the lion. I don't mind the lion in the bg. The intensity of the one in the fg comes through. The bit of sunshine hitting them has rendered the manes a bit more yellow/orange than the earlier images which tended more to red.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
11-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Hi Steve -- Tight crops are something most of us should be learning from your images. Though it is subjective the way we perceive things, makes the crop choice or framing tightly quite difficult. It works for me here as it conveys how the kill is being guarded while the one in the BKG is feeding . Colours and details good as usual .

TFS !

Stu Bowie
11-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Hi Steve, excellent IQ and detail on the Lion, and very sharp too. I like that you havent included too much of the kill, as it would take away the focus on your main subject. Also I like how the Lion at the back falls away from the DOF to make the FG Lion pop.

Still going through your images of two years ago. :w3

Steve Kaluski
11-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Still going through your images of two years ago.

Yep, but also as time moves on I like to think both knowledge & skills improve in PP, which for me, is always an ongoing element of this medium. Nothing stands still for long Stu as you know, otherwise you won't develop, nor will your imagery.

Having the same workflow for a number of years leads to being a bit 'stale'. :S3: