PDA

View Full Version : Crested Francolin Portrait

Stu Bowie
11-05-2016, 01:59 PM
On my way out of the Kruger Park a few weeks back, I came across this lone Crested Francolin in the road. Normally they are fairly skittish, but this fellow decided to hang around while I managed a few shots. The BG is the gravel road. I didnt want to waste time on adding convertors to have a closer shot, so I decided my 300mm lens on its own would be fine.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8
1/1250
F/7.1
ISO 640

Exp comp +0.33
Hand Held from the car.

Colin Driscoll
11-05-2016, 06:30 PM
You got it well Stu. I looked the species up and they seem quite a plump bird.

keith mitchell
11-06-2016, 04:16 AM
This is good Stu,smashing looking eye which I bet you could maybe see your reflection in,all neat and sharp and detailed.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2016, 05:23 AM
AHHA, the 'Road Runner'. :S3:

Good to have one stop for a minute for you Stu. Good techs, although I might have just started at 1/1600 - 1/2500 only if the subjected bolted and you had enough ISO. Great detail, sharpness and depth here, and love the open beak.

I didnt want to waste time on adding convertors to have a closer shot, so I decided my 300mm lens on its own would be fine.

Interesting, I would have bolted it on, flipped it to vertical and shot, to really emphasis the subject even more. :bg3:

Nice one Stu.

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
11-06-2016, 06:10 AM
AHHA, the 'Road Runner'. :S3:

I would have bolted it on, flipped it to vertical and shot, to really emphasis the subject even more. :bg3:

Thanks for your feedback Steve. I do have a vertical full body image without any TC'S. I just havent got around to processing it. :w3

Thank you Keith and Colin for your feedback too.

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2016, 06:11 AM
I do have a vertical full body image without any TC'S. I just havent got around to processing it.

Thought you might, just had to ask. :S3:

Joseph Przybyla
11-06-2016, 07:09 AM
Hey Stu, interesting bird, nicely shown. The color and pattern is very similar to the Limpkin in Florida, but the beak/bill is so much different. Techs spot on, the gravel road provides a complimentary background. Thank you for sharing.

Rachel Hollander
11-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Hi Stu - Yes, so often the only real view of these guys is running away as you slow down. Well done to get him. I too would have tried to get one or two in the bag and then if cooperative tried to add the tc. Nice colors, detail and sharpness. Looking forward to seeing the full body image.

TFS,
Rachel

Satish Ranadive
11-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Excellent portrait image of with beautiful colors and superb details.

Regards,
Satish.