PDA

View Full Version : The Glass frog ~ Centrolenidae Anura

Stuart Dahne
06-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Here is a tiny guy.
The Glass frog ~ Centrolenidae Anura
Most members of this family are small, reaching 0.7 to 1.2 inches with this young guy being on the smaller end of the scale.

Camera Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Exposure Time 0.05s (1/20)
Aperture f/11.0
ISO 800
Lens 180 f/3.5 with a EF25II extension and a 1.4 tele-converter
Focal Length 180mm (234mm in 35mm)
Flash flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Exposure Program manual
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode manual
White Balance manual
Color Space sRGB

All comments and critiques are welcomed

Robert O'Toole
06-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Stuart,

Nice work as usual I always enjoy your images! the detail and colors in the head and eye areas are amazing. The colors are so intense they dont even look real!.

I would like to see more room in the foreground and less of the dark BG. You dont mention it so I would assume this is a studio image so even less reason to clip the front toes.

Where are these frogs found in the wild?

Robert

Gus Cobos
06-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Wow...a face only a mother could love...:eek::):D:p;) I like your composition and image very much. The eyes are a killer...good show...:cool:

Julie Kenward
06-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Jeepers Peepers! What nice eyes you have Mr. Frog! Beautiful colors and composition but I'd like to see a tad bit more room in front and behind as well. Beautiful detail in this image!

Bill Whitney
06-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Stuart....what amazing eyes this guy has. You have to wonder what the purpose of eyes like this serve. You would think they would be attention getters for predators but they must serve some purpose though....besides being eyes. Maybe they make the females swoon:D. Thanks for sharing such an interesting criter.

Nonda Surratt
06-15-2008, 05:52 PM
woowzer those eyes! and what Bill said.

Steve Foss
06-15-2008, 06:21 PM
The eyes have it! They are especially well set off by the amber of the frog and the warm (yellow) tones in the needles.

Susan Griffith
06-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Amazing, Just love the eyes. Great Capture.

-Susan

Stuart Dahne
06-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Thank You All!!!! I don't want to be too technical , but these guys are distributed in the continent of America, from southern Mexico to Panama, and through the Andes from Venezuela to Bolivia, with some species in the Amazonas and Orinoco River basins, the Guiana Shield region, southeastern Brazil, and northern Argentina.
These guys are incredibly interesting; not only is their skin translucent so that you can see their internal organs (mainly from the underside), but they have lots of interesting traits.
Members of the family Centrolenidae are mostly arboreal frogs that live along rivers and streams (during the breeding season), and are particularly diverse in montane cloud forests of South America, although some species occur also in Amazonian and Chocoan rainforest and semi-deciduous forests. The eggs are usually deposited on leaves of tree or shrubs hanging over the running water of mountain streams, creeks, and small rivers, or over stones close to waterfalls. The method of egg-laying on the leaf is species-specific. The males usually call from leaves close to their egg clutches. The eggs are much less vulnerable to predators than those laid within water, however there is a large risk of parasitism caused by a fly laying its larvae into the egg, so some species show parental care. After they hatch, the tadpoles fall into the waters below. The tadpoles are elongate, with powerful tails and low fins, suited for fast flowing water. During the non-breeding season some species live in the canopy.
Thanks Again!

Mike Moats
06-16-2008, 04:41 AM
Hey Stuart, the image here is the eyes, and you did a great job focusing on them. A tad more in the front would have been nice. Well done.

Steve Wheeler
06-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Unbelievable eyes indeed... You really do have to wonder about their purpose. I'm w/ BiIl... Gotta be for the girls!

Great light... Would hate to loose detail in the eyes to have more room around subject... But that's just me.

Steve