PDA

View Full Version : Bull Moose

Jonathan Ashton
11-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L @400mm IS ISO 10000 1/1000 sec f5.5
This was taken at Gros Ventre, the location was actually a camp site so there had to be a bit of nimble footwork to keep out of his path and other photographers.
Most photographers adopted an appropriate code of practice but unfortunately not all, people did. Some non photographers did not know when they were effectively herding and boxing in the moose, the consequence being that two little girls were put in a vulnerable position...their parents were advised fairly politely.
Hopefully I have removed any significant cast and the colours I think are pretty realistic.

(I nearly forgot to say I could hear someone's voice telling me to push that ISO whilst I was photographing the moose....wonder who's it was:bg3:)

keith mitchell
11-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Jon this is one magnificent animal,I can't see any colour casts but don't take that as gospel .The yellow leaves help to lift the whole image and make the Moose stand out,very well done getting this bet it was a thrill being so close, but a pity about the kids.

D. Robert Franz
11-02-2016, 02:52 PM
We worked this bull on my Fall Teton/Yellowstone tour in late September.. We saw 17 moose in one morning including this guy... Really nice image here! :5 Photographers seem to take the brunt of the blame in the parks and most often it's not the serious photographers causing the problems.

Stuart Philpott
11-02-2016, 02:57 PM
John I'm not terribly familiar with moose I am sure I have seen one in a zoo somewhere here,but can't place it. The one memory that persists is the sheer size of them I remember being utterly amazed. It's lovely how you caught him head up, roaring,I presume. I can see blue in the blacks but am not in anyway bothered by this it's almost what I would paint,is that your colourcast? The light catching the vegatation is wonderful,both fore and rear and he is utterly magnificent as Keith says. John it may well be me but something feels strange with his fur,I'm struggling for words John to articulate what I see it almost feels blotchy . john I don't understand the rack looks fine to me but the fur strange, maybe it's how I am viewing??

John, a black beast against all that bright foliage I feel you have done amazingly well here your words to me here recently about the fawn seem exponentially increased for you in this image,it is an eye opener that you have achieved this,for me incredible !!
Hmm hearing voices,I thought that was just me

take care

Stu

Are the highlit grasses adjoined to his legs deliberate? fortuitous?they grab me in a very positive way John it's a thing of beauty this inspite of my thoughts on the fur

Jonathan Ashton
11-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Robert we may well have seen each other I was there at that time too.
Stu the coat was wet image taken just after first light hence the appearance. Highlights tamed that's all.

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2016, 06:25 AM
Hi Jon - Very well done. I like the bull against that fall foliage. I am seeing a little blue in the blacks in the shadow areas but it looks natural so up to you whether to leave it or remove it. Looks like a bugling pose. Do moose bugle? I don't see any issue with the coat. Nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
11-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Hi Jonathan -- Very grand looking subject and a lovely pose . great to see you also pushing that iso . The leaves are adding to scene , enjoyed viewing this image .

Did you stretched the canvas , i can see some repeat patterns in front of the moose .

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
11-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Hi Jon, nice capture, however I see what Haseeb is referring to and so it detracts a little for me, I would revisit, or leave as per the original capture. I do like it being side on with a sight head turn to you. I think you could look to getting some more tonal range within the habitat to add some overall 'depth'. No idea who was whispering in your ear, but if you are using a 1DX then you should be using a good SS to nail the capture as you can just forget about noise & ISO.

TFS
Steve

D. Robert Franz
11-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Robert we may well have seen each other I was there at that time too.
Stu the coat was wet image taken just after first light hence the appearance. Highlights tamed that's all.

Probably not there at the same time.. Both days I was there were rainy and wet.. Moose is doing what is commonly called a lip curl technically it's the flehem response. All the large ungulates do this to determine if the female is ovulating. The bull deeply inhales the females urine and by curling back it's lips exposes the Jacobson's organ located in the roof to the mouth. This then tells the brain is the cow is in heat...

Andrew McLachlan
11-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Hi Jonathan...this is such a fabulous capture and the autumn colours really add some pop to the scene. It amazes me how some folks are really ignorant to the fact that a bull moose during the rut can be a very dangerous animal.

Jonathan Ashton
11-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks very much everyone, sorry I forgot to mention there was some patching/cloning due to vehicles etc. in the background. Yes I should have done better:e3

Steve Kaluski
11-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Yes I should have done better:e3

OH, naughty step for you Jon :bg3:, however with PSCC you should find things a lot easier to address, if you fell the need too. :S3:

Stu Bowie
11-05-2016, 03:49 AM
Hi Jon, love the pose here, well exposed on the his hide, and I really like the colours in the BG. His breath showing from the mouth would have taken this over the top. :w3

Jonathan Ashton
11-05-2016, 04:08 AM
Thanks Stu glad you liked it. I have moose elk and big horned sheep with breath but it is not easy to enhance it without it looking false.