PDA

View Full Version : WEB WALKERS????

Stuart Philpott
11-01-2016, 05:01 PM
OK this was just strange. It's around 4 30 if I recollect and these spiders webs were all but invisible,but from one angle and that as you have probably guess is lying in erm deer.... er lying in a deer track. We were pretty much surrounded and as I looked to what my lass was watching ,looking straight into the sun or rather, more far more accurately, directly below it,towards the deer feeding below us in the valley ,basically I saw this. It's millions of spiders webs catching the sun which are also wet due to high humidity mist etc. what I found utterly amazing was how it simply vanished at most angles. It was also incredible to just photograph and sort of explore both the light and exposure,the techs are nuts but considered shes a **** fine lens why not find out what f/25 looks like in this senario . This was simply me exploring while I had time waiting for a deer to come closer these magical spiders webs I have an array of different settings. This was one of the last I was focused both at capture and with processing which is not naturalistic just with exploring those webs,anyway...

1div,
300 f2.8is

1/250
f25
iso 1250

Cheers for all the thoughts given in my last thread sorry so many deer he he I adore them they are so stunning learning alot with one subject though alot about them and the camera thanks everyone

Take care

stu

keith mitchell
11-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Hi Stu,I have often marveled at the millions of webs on either stubble stalks our rough cultivated land on a misty morning looking at low level of course,it's amazing how it happens but a beautiful effect.You have certainly captured the mood which I like ,not sure that I can help you improve but I am sure there are tweaks you can apply,see what others say.
Cheers Keith.

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Hi Stu - I'm not sure I follow or understand your intro paragraph. If this was intended to highlight or show spider webs, I don't think it does that. The light looks nice but I want the deer to be located in the light not the darker areas. Sorry but this isn't really working for me.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
11-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Hi Stu i completely agree with Rachel , not working for me , sorry !

Also what are those two black spots on the BG ? are they dust spots ?

Steve Kaluski
11-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Hi Stu, I like your thinking and direction on this one, but like Rachel's image, I just feel it needs to be more 'dramatic' and not follow the usual line of processing.

TFS
Steve

Stuart Philpott
11-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Keith yes me too but as you say always on a misty morning. The bit that has me reeling here is it's closing on very late afternoon/sundown and at that time of day they have never been visible to me until this chance encounter with my liying down Viewing directly under the sun though was key,any other angle they complete vanished. It was that chance angle so that the sun was reflecting off them Keith which made them visible. I simply have never seen this before

Rachel Hasseeb,it's ok guys you have no need to apologise I appreciate your opinions and give thanks for the time taken to share them with me.. Rachel my humble apologies for poor communication, I won't labour more than to say it's my failing and the usual. The deer are all but secondary in this image,but not my attempted star of the show. That said I did mention I explored here so probably have something more to your liking from this set maybe poorly executed but I sort of feel I might have something you might like more,who knows,still appreciate your kindness though mate:S3:

Hasseeb,there is plausibly one dust spot,leastways I think one,could you possibly outline them for me?? I am pretty sure there is one,but try as I might I cannot see it on the sensor. I am curious as to what exactly you have seen.

Steve I 'm sort of foxed here,after I'd edited this and was about to post I saw Rachel's image and your reply I tried to reply myself actually as I loved her image,but pulled back a bit due mainly to fatigue and also I wanted to hear what Rachel wanted to capture, but yes I'm very aware of your comments.

Steve I felt this was me going off on one,seriously left field. The image posted looks nowt like it did in the field which was a deliberate attempt by me at enhancing the webs and that path of light created by reflection to the sun that was utterly my goal . Steve it might be poorly executed but I have no boundaries,I'm not learned enough to take them in as of yet. I sort of cherish that freedom though. Boundaries ,what is correct,as judged by peers, has the potential to quoash creativity as I see it(my personal humble opinion Steve nowt more),I want to try and learn them have that expertise,but not have the fence limitiing my thoughts .

My directions were two fold,one explore DOF and how much of the webs could be brought into focus with my lens. Then secondly try and enhance the light pathway reflected in them, in processing for sure I might have not made the grade,I don't really expect to yet if i'm honest,but those were my specific goals for this image or even set of images. Mate I actually started at f5.6 with ext1.4. And pared things back, if you like, ridding the 300 of the ext and then going to f14 then 25 just to explore what might happen im this unusual senario. One that I have never seen before at this time of day.
I'd gladly send you a raw(when I have time if I can) or post again in a way that might allow you to explore or even show me what you mean,I felt while musing and processing that I needed to rein it in a bit,so i'm very interested by your post in particular as you are streering this image in a different way in your humble opinion. That is beguiling Steve.

You are very busy and helping me too much already ,I'm not asking for anything really, and utterly not now. i'm just trying to articulate how intreaguing your post is.

Thanks

take care

Stu

Steve Kaluski
11-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Steve I felt this was me going off on one,seriously left field. The image posted looks nowt like it did in the field which was a deliberate attempt by me at enhancing the webs and that path of light created by reflection to the sun that was utterly my goal . Steve it might be poorly executed but I have no boundaries,I'm not learned enough to take them in as of yet. I sort of cherish that freedom though. Boundaries ,what is correct,as judged by peers, has the potential to quoash creativity as I see it(my personal humble opinion Steve nowt more),I want to try and learn them have that expertise,but not have the fence limitiing my thoughts .

Stu, being free of boundaries and not being 'influenced' by others around you can work for you or against you, so I personally think it can be a fine line we walk. I am hugely influence by my peers and one in particular who really got me back into this wonderful medium. Looking at other photographers and being exposed to magazines broadens the eye & thinking and yes, if you see something you like and can implement it into a few captures fine, providing you understand the reasons behind the capture and learn from it. I think this image is more about a graphic look with the stripes, banding and light rather than the deer, so perhaps it boarders on 'landscape'?

My directions were two fold,one explore DOF and how much of the webs could be brought into focus with my lens. Then secondly try and enhance the light pathway reflected in them, in processing for sure I might have not made the grade,I don't really expect to yet if i'm honest,but those were my specific goals for this image or even set of images. Mate I actually started at f5.6 with ext1.4. And pared things back, if you like, ridding the 300 of the ext and then going to f14 then 25 just to explore what might happen im this unusual senario. One that I have never seen before at this time of day.
I'd gladly send you a raw(when I have time if I can) or post again in a way that might allow you to explore or even show me what you mean,I felt while musing and processing that I needed to rein it in a bit,so i'm very interested by your post in particular as you are streering this image in a different way in your humble opinion. That is beguiling Steve.

Stu, I'm currently up north and not back for about the next 12 day, however if you wish to email (Dropbox) please feel free, you could try emailing too, but I won't look at it until I'm back. You may want to think f/16 at a much slower SS & ISO, but best on a support and even cable release. I will ask Andrew McLachlan (Landscape Mod) if he could suggest a landscape photographer who shoots in graphics ways that you could look up.

Stu look with "Eyes and Mind wide open' :bg3:

Andrew McLachlan
11-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Hi Stuart, always a great idea to experiment with new ideas...I love animate landscape imagery whereby the animal occupies a small portion of the composition while the landscape dominates the overall scene. As Rachel noted if the deer were in the light the image would work better and I am not really seeing the spider webs either, although I do know what you mean about how spectacular a field is when covered with dewy webs. In order for this scene to work I feel it needs more of a landscape design with leading lines and dramatic lighting to draw the viewer in...not sure if would have been possible from your perspective but could you have used a wider angle lens, down low to compose a dewy spider web in the foreground of the composition with the deer silhouetted against the horizon? Just trying to think of variations that may have been possible based on the original post. As a side note if you like the animate landscape look check out some of the work of Art Wolfe and Andy Rouse as each of them have published a book on this style of imagery. Art Wolfe's book is called "The Living Wild" and Andy Rouse's the "Living Landscapes."

Steve Kaluski
11-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Hi Andrew, really appreciate you chiming in and I really do feel this image requires your input because it falls as I said, more into 'landscape'.

Stu checkout Andrews suggestions, however if you like Andy's book Living Landscapes, let me know, he's a good friend.

Cheers Andrew. :wave:

Stuart Philpott
11-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Steve, i'm just going to say thanks and you know the rest !!

Andrew,buddy, first up huge thanks for your thoughts and wisdom . I need to digest them Andrew, there is much to ponder,please forgive,I just wanted to say a proper warm heart felt thanks for your contribution to this thread monster ones actually Andrew !!
I'll come back if I may shortly, but etiquette demands I say thank you now,too many hours worked Andrew not much left

speak very soon (fascinating post)

Take care

stu

Stuart Philpott
11-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Hi Stuart, always a great idea to experiment with new ideas...I love animate landscape imagery whereby the animal occupies a small portion of the composition while the landscape dominates the overall scene. As Rachel noted if the deer were in the light the image would work better and I am not really seeing the spider webs either, although I do know what you mean about how spectacular a field is when covered with dewy webs. In order for this scene to work I feel it needs more of a landscape design with leading lines and dramatic lighting to draw the viewer in...not sure if would have been possible from your perspective but could you have used a wider angle lens, down low to compose a dewy spider web in the foreground of the composition with the deer silhouetted against the horizon? Just trying to think of variations that may have been possible based on the original post. As a side note if you like the animate landscape look check out some of the work of Art Wolfe and Andy Rouse as each of them have published a book on this style of imagery. Art Wolfe's book is called "The Living Wild" and Andy Rouse's the "Living Landscapes."

Andrew thanks for this. On many levels I feel now I failed with this image,my primary objective ,that path of light leading one into the deer reflected off the webs it not able to be viewed by folks. MY best mate sat besides me and he couldn't decipher this image . That said,I did explore here both with framing and techs so this might not yet be the best way I handled the situation,although I felt it was one of the more appealing shots . Having the privalge to talk to other astounding togs here about their images and mine is really helpful in my own evaluation of my work but right now I struggle. Failure might be a strong word,but I'm cool with that, a fundamental here hasn't worked out !!

But what I have got back has made me incredibly glad I posted this one. I eventually would like a 17-40f/4 Andrew,but at this time tis one lens one camera and how the world looks through those tools,but yes I pondered this and tripod during this session as with the varying techs so there is much positive in your words for me. some frames were taken at f14 not 16 as per your suggestion so those will be interesting to ponder,cheers for that. Because I'm shooting straight under the sun,I chose not to go above the horizon,feeling the camera would struggle with the bright,it would have added very little I felt to this particular situation. That said I can visualise the picture you paint with a wide angle lens only with a lit beasst against dark. Andrew this really was a strange phenominon I couldn't really move left or right as the sparklers were no longer visible, so I found it very tricky and it's been cool to muse afterwords aswell.

Anamate landscape imagery, is a term I have not really aquired before now . It's quite lovely, this term, and will make me think of your frogs and you for here on.I'm aware of both image makers,more familiar with Andy's work.Andy's back lit work enthralls me!!
It's very appealing as a concept and interests me,it's a shame I didn't do better here as this one, in the afternoon ie spiders webs like this, is something I simply can't recollect seeing before. Andrew if we hadn't of being lying down l would never have known it was there. So surreal !! Thankyou for your contribution to this thread . I have done a little bit of lanscape mate,not really much but a bit. I do like telephoto compression,even when I started with only a kit lens for some reason I always wanted to use the narrow end as a base, for landscape,i was trying to think in that way I suppose only with a 300mm

thanks so much

take care

Stu