PDA

View Full Version : NO SLR - Parrot Chick

Lance Peters
06-15-2008, 04:13 AM
Well the wife was using the D3 today to do a studio session, so thought I would go check out a few haunts. Grabbed the only camera around a Canon S51S Compact.

Of course get out to the wetlands and here's a chick straight out of the nest - learning to fly. Well no use trying to get any flight shots with a compact - so tried for a few static shots. Chick was quite bold and happilly hopped onto my finger.

Canon S51S
AV Mode
f3.2
1/40th
200 ISO
Super macro mode
As Metered

QM some distracting BG, Sharpened the eye, adjusted curves and cropped.

Sure wish I had the D3.

Lance

Alberto Oria
06-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Hello Lance, beautiful chick, you might check the red channel for some burn out.

Lance Peters
06-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Alberto - lots of problems with this image - cant control the compact like I can the D3 - REALLY ONLY A RECORD.

:)

Nonda Surratt
06-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Cute! Just hopped on your finger? How cool is that!

Gus Cobos
06-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Hi Lance,
I like your close up of this little guy. Not bad for a Pro Sumer Point and Shoot...:D The details and colors are great. The reds are ok...:) How do you like your -S5 IS- ? In my opinion,Canon makes the best point and shoots in the market...:cool: I owen an A620 myself; and like the American Express commercial "never leave home without it"...This little girl is always with me...:) Congrats on you image...:cool:

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-15-2008, 08:41 AM
I love it - great reflection in the eye!

Julie Kenward
06-15-2008, 10:17 AM
I had the Powershot S3 IS and used it solidly for a year while I learned about photography. I just sold it this weekend - need the cash to buy a new toy for the 40D! They are great cameras, that's for sure.

As Al said, the reds are a little oversaturated but the rest of the image is crystal clear and beautiful. Great detail and love the close compo.

Katie Rupp
06-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Nice and sharp and colorful, good job using what you have!

Alfred Forns
06-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Excellent Lance !!! Would desaturate the red channel. All digital cameras tend to over saturate reds to a point, some worse than others.

Can go to image> saturation> red channel and just back down !!! Love the image Talk about a tame bird !!!!

Oscar Zangroniz
06-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Great capture Lane. Beautiful colors on this image.

Harold Davis
06-15-2008, 05:17 PM
my eye just keeps getting drawn to his eye!!! i love the reflection. that is one awesome looking eye!!!! did eye mention that eye liked the eye!! great image, lance. i like the way you make the best out of your situation when your wife has your camera!!

Lance Peters
06-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys - Ill desatch the red channel - might even keep it.