SW France
slow running water

D750 + 300mm f4 AF-S
1/200th – f11 - ISO 450
15% Crop

LR/PS

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2016, 11:20 AM
Very nicely exposed and detailed, I like the perch and background. I am not too sure about the crop, I do appreciate you like to present less than predictable images so I can see why you cropped this way but it doesn't seem to make the most of a beautiful subject and highly complimentary background to me.

Bill Nuttall
10-31-2016, 12:55 PM
Very nicely exposed and detailed, I like the perch and background. I am not too sure about the crop, I do appreciate you like to present less than predictable images so I can see why you cropped this way but it doesn't seem to make the most of a beautiful subject and highly complimentary background to me.

Thanks Jonathan - I not sure how I would have cropped this other than how I did - what you you recommend

It is a standard constrained vertical crop

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2016, 03:23 PM
Bill I would have looked at 4:3 or 3:4 and added canvas as necessary, then if that didn't work I would have looked to other ratios.

Bill Nuttall
10-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Bill I would have looked at 4:3 or 3:4 and added canvas as necessary, then if that didn't work I would have looked to other ratios.

where would you add canvas Jonathan, top, bottom, left, right - I have plenty of canvas as it is a 15% crop - so I have 85% to play with

Jonathan Ashton
11-01-2016, 05:03 AM
Bill I don't have a precise answer, I would certainly start with a similar composition but 4:3 then rotate to see how it fits, I think the diagonal you have is a good starting point.

Bill Nuttall
11-01-2016, 06:10 AM
Bill I don't have a precise answer, I would certainly start with a similar composition but 4:3 then rotate to see how it fits, I think the diagonal you have is a good starting point.

Thanks J

the crop is a 3 x 2 which I tend to favour

Thanks for the advice - I will give a 4 x 3 a try

Steve Maxson
11-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Very nice overall sharpness on your subject plus good light and background. Cropping is always a bit subjective and this image would look good cropped a number of ways. As an alternative, I might suggest cropping some from the top to put the dragonfly's head roughly in the ROT position. :S3: