PDA

View Full Version : Lion cub drinking

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2016, 04:30 AM
Spent almost seven days with this particular pride in Botswana and in one of my most favourite camps, with an awesome friend & guide and who real put 110% into getting me into some awesome spots.

Shot in the later part of the afternoon the pride walked along the dry channel which gave us time to position and park up the jeep, sit and wait. The next ten minutes that followed were priceless, great interaction and close proximately, often I just put the cameras down on the bonnet or footwell just to watch the cubs play and drink. Here, the young cub pushed in beside Mum and quietly drank under Mums protection.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lion cub (Panthera leo) drinking in the shadow of Mum
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO2000 EV 0
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

haseeb badar
10-29-2016, 04:51 AM
Hi Steve -- It clearly shows how well you have imagined and then clicked this image . Absolutely loved it . Shows the cub is so well protected by its mum and at the same time keeping an eye on the humans . Some nice light hitting the cubs eye. Good idea of focusing the cub and making this image . Enjoyed viewing this lovely image .

TFS !

keith mitchell
10-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Tec bits will be covered by others,but hey! Steve you have captured a magic moment,just showing the cubs eye really does lift the image.
Keith.

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Hi Steve - A good experiment and it works. Most would have tried for greater dof to have mom also in focus but I like the narrower dof though I do somehow wish the whiskers could be a little softer without effecting the sharpness of the cub (probably impossible). I also find myself wishing the cub's elbow wasn't clipped on the left. You mentioned a crop but didn't say from where, any chance you have the whole elbow?

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-30-2016, 03:23 AM
Thanks guys.

Rachel, I feel you would need a larger amount of DoF to achieve what you are suggesting (I would need to go back into the camera EXIF to see the focal distance, something which we can all do), but my hunch is that in doing - say f/22, it would mean a far higher ISO to retain SS, not an issue for the 1DX or the awesome 1DX MK2. In addition, all I wanted was Mom 'visible/slight definition' to a degree, but retaining all the focus and eye contact with the cub, (the primary object) so you look, see mom, but bypass her direct to the cub's eye, pulling the viewer in, so to speak.

The crop is top & bottom, I had to also go tighter in (on the original in camera framing) because of some grass vegetation and distracting elements in the water, so a slightly clipped elbow I can live with. :S3:

Stuart Philpott
10-30-2016, 07:03 AM
A desparately interesting frame Steve, especially the incredibly thoughtful use of DOF. It's quite hard getting past mum being in front and oof,even as open minded as I am. Mum's whiskers play with me personally Steve the intersection with the cub is catching my eye. Crucial to this for me is your capture of little one's tongue,his eye goes without saying but that tungue and the ripples are incredibly appealing. i'm genuinely unsure here Steve . What I will say though is the thought behind this is incredibly inspiring and something i'll surely ponder.

Very very interesting Steve thank you for sharing this one !!
Take care
Stu

D. Robert Franz
10-30-2016, 12:01 PM
You did well here with the DOF and a very interesting composition!

Anette Mossbacher
11-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Hi Steve,

nice comp and focus in this image :bg3:
Details on little chap, looks great and has your signature as usual.
IMHO I would get rid of a bit FG, it just is not that balanced in my eyes. Hey that's me, but I have glasses on :t3

Have a great day

Ciao Anette

Stu Bowie
11-05-2016, 03:54 AM
Hi Steve, a great story, and only something you can achieve in a private reserve by postioning yourself in the best spot with regards to light and location. Love the focus on the cub, and glad you captured a hint of the tongue. I do like mom's wet chin too, even though it falls out of the DOF.