PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Tern with Fish in Fligh0

gail bisson
10-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Canon 1DX
600mm and 1.4x
SS 1/3200 F 7.1 ISO 800
Taken in Iceland July, 2016 in late evening ~10:00 PM
PP: Crop to ~70%FF, usual LR sliders, levels in CS5, NR to BG, DE to bird at 1% and USM to JPEG at 25% radius 0.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail
Does the bird intersecting with BG bother you?

Doug Brown
10-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Good sharpness, nice catchlight in the eye, and well composed. I'm not crazy about the position of the bird's right wing, but otherwise quite nice Gail.

Isaac Grant
10-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Great flight shot and the sand eel (?) is a nice bonus. I like the way it is coming towards us as well. I do think the bird intersecting the BG is not ideal but certainly not a deal breaker either. Love the framing as well. Only critique I have is that the exposure on the bird seems on the dark side and that has caused the grays on the wings to be darker than I remember for Arctic Tern. But that is an easy fix.

Michael Thompson
10-26-2016, 09:51 PM
Nice capture in flight, sharp and well lit, nope the background position does not bother me, since the bird stands out nicely, and the background is silky smooth

Mike Poole
10-27-2016, 09:44 AM
The intersecting line isn't the best, but for me, it's not a deal breaker.

I like the angle of the Tern flying slightly towards us, and the prey item is a nice touch. There is a bit of a sharpening halo below the bird.

Nice details in the blacks on the head.

Mike

Satish Ranadive
10-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Excellent flight shot. Beautiful colors with superb details. Great composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Jim Crosswell
10-27-2016, 11:38 AM
I like the flight angle, prey, sharpness and composition. Seeing the thumbnail I though the BG intersecting the wing was going to be more of an issue but viewing the image I'm ok with it. Lots of light for 10pm!

Adhika Lie
10-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Beautiful and elegant, Gail. The right wing position is less than ideal but not a deal breaker for me. I agree with Isaac's observation that it looks a tad dark.

Stu Bowie
10-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Hi Gail, I quite like the curves/shape of the wings and tail. Well exposed as the eye stands out against the dark cap, and his catch a bonus. You had amazing light in Iceland.

Lorant Voros
10-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Many commented on the right wing position that isn't a big issue for me at all. I like the body angle, the visible fork tail, fish in the beak and the catchlight int he eye. Looks well exposed on my monitor. Well done, Gail!

David Salem
10-28-2016, 10:59 AM
I like the wing position too. Looks great to me. The HA, the nice colorful BG and your usual solid techs round this one off nicely. Another real nice keeper Gail!!

keith mitchell
10-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Gail I have never taken a decent shot of a flying bird so not the best judge but this looks very good to me,forked tail and prey item make it for me,bet they take some keeping up with.Very well caught.

Keith.