PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Lioness

Stu Bowie
10-25-2016, 02:33 PM
I have just returned from a very, very short trip to our Kruger National Park. Whilst I normally dont get to see any of the cats, I was very fortunate to have this Lioness all to myself. We were driving slowly on the road following her in a riverbed as she scanned for her breakfast. We took a gamble and drove slightly ahead of her, and then stopped and turned my car engine off. She then literally came up the river bank and sat down about 4m from our car. She was facing the river looking for the Kudu's and Impala that had scampered off due to her presence. I captured this shot through the car ( looking out the passenger window ) as she turned her head to look across the road. This was full frame, although I have taken a bit off the top in pp work. The BG is as shot - the distant opposite riverbank.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8
1/1250
F/5.0
ISO 640

Exp comp +0.33
Hand held from the car.

Rachel Hollander
10-25-2016, 09:31 PM
Hi Stu - Great to see you posting over here and without too much arm twisting :w3. Nice head turn she gave you with a beautiful amber eye. Color and detail look good. You're right about the sweet bg. I can see an alternate crop coming from the left to the shoulder but it works as is too.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
10-26-2016, 02:48 AM
Hi Stu -- The BKG is very nice which in turn is separating the subject very effectively . Nice IQ and the crop works for me as presented . Lovely fine details , i liked this image !
Do post frequently as possible for you , you really have some great images with you and our learning experience gets better and better when looking at such wonderfully done images .

TFS !

Dumay de Boulle
10-26-2016, 04:26 AM
Lovely image bud...great BG and very nice details....
Just out of interest, did she have a collapsed left ear, as I can't see it at all. Or was the image just caught at a time the ear was flattened?

Bill Nuttall
10-26-2016, 07:13 AM
well taken and great detail
powerful animal and eyes with intent

good crop to focus on the head and really attractive bg - I suppose "one ear" missing dose look strange when pointed out

Stu Bowie
10-26-2016, 11:27 AM
Just out of interest, did she have a collapsed left ear, as I can't see it at all. Or was the image just caught at a time the ear was flattened?

Thanks mate. I had a look at another image when she had crossed the road and there is a perfect view of a healthy left ear. :w3

Thanks Rachel, Haseeb and Bill for your feedback. Always appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2016, 01:29 AM
Lovely portrait, great details, she is beautifully isolated from the background.

Steve Kaluski
10-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Hi Stu, cool capture. Love the posture and open jaw, coupled with the sweet saturated light. No problem with the ear, looks very natural to me. My only thought might be, is just to open the dark gum area of the mouth to bring a hint of detail back in and did you fractionally lighten the eye?

Nice one Stu, lets see more!!!

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
10-28-2016, 11:04 AM
My only thought might be, is just to open the dark gum area of the mouth to bring a hint of detail back in and did you fractionally lighten the eye?

Thanks Steve. On both counts, I didnt even think of working on either areas. Good point on trying to work on the gum area - will give it a try. I didnt touch the eye - should I try and lighten it a touch. :w3 Unfortunately, no better image than this from my trip except for a few Ellies. I was only in the park for a day and a half, a very busy weekend drive there and back. :w3

Steve Kaluski
10-28-2016, 01:00 PM
The eye i would leave, but if do the adjustment to the mouth, please don't use the Shadow/Highlight, that's no ideal!

Stu Bowie
10-28-2016, 01:40 PM
but if do the adjustment to the mouth, please don't use the Shadow/Highlight, that's no ideal!

There are quite a few sliders/functions I never touch in PS, and shadow/highlights is definitely one I dont use. :w3

keith mitchell
10-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Stu this ticks all the boxes for me,I'm no expert on these but this as got a natural perfect look to me.

Keith.