PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Fly with prey.

Brian Desjardins
10-25-2016, 07:57 AM
Hi all, this was taken a few days ago, Saw him jump up and come down with a bee. This shot is a 5 stack with flash handheld, stacked in Zerene then edited in LR, cropped for comp. Comments are always welcome, thanks for looking.

Nikon D7000,
Tamron 90mm,
90mm @ f / 13
with flash, diffuser /softbox setup, power 1/16th @ f / 8
Handheld.

Steve Maxson
10-26-2016, 02:49 PM
These large robber flies are pretty impressive aerial predators! Good overall sharpness and the flash appears well diffused. I wonder if the subject could be a little smaller in the frame (i.e., shot from a few inches farther away). A matter of personal taste, I suppose. :S3:

Mike Hitchen
10-26-2016, 03:23 PM
Well seen and a great image - even more so, for me, being a 5-shot stack as I would have expected some movement.

Brian Desjardins
10-27-2016, 10:51 AM
Hi Steve, Thanks for the comments, I do have less tight shots but this one had a lot of good detail, I would even say I like even closer views of the details but not everyone like them that close :) Thanks again!

Brian

Brian Desjardins
10-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Hi Mike. Thanks for the comments really appreciated, I have been shooting macro a while now and when I shoot a stack I try to do it quick so the subject has no time to move, also Zerene is a really good program with stacks if there is motion you can "paint" out the errors from the original shots. Thanks again !

Brian

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2016, 11:17 AM
Brian I enjoyed the detail but I find the image just a tad busy, I would suggest this is because you are a little close. I think the focus DOF is very good and exposure spot on, it may be worthwhile checking out the effect of reducing the brightness on the paler stones.