PDA

View Full Version : Female Leopard

Dumay de Boulle
10-23-2016, 12:22 PM
I like the pose of her standing on the log, same girl as a few days ago....Different sighting.

Canon 5D MKIII
Sigma 120-300 f2.8
AV f5
TV 1/1600
ISO 640
Evaluative metering

Thanks for looking...:S3:

Rachel Hollander
10-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Hi Dumay - I love the pose with the front paws on the log and just seeing the curl of the tail. Nice detail and sharpness. There's some blue and cyan coming through in the whites and on the log that I would reduce if it were mine, but not big deal at all. Nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
10-23-2016, 02:15 PM
Thanks Rachel...Im gonna need a tutorial on how to sort out color casts. Obviously the way I'm doing it isn't working I checked all the colors and I couldn't see anything. So frustrated with this color thing.

Mike Poole
10-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Lovely proud pose, I can see why you like it.

I agree with Rachels comments, I only work by eye, so there is probably a more technical way of doing things, but I tried Rachels suggestions by doing a selective colour adjustment layer, then selected 'whites' and took a few points of cyan out, then took a couple of points of blue out on the neutrals and it did subtly change the image for the better.

Mike

Rachel Hollander
10-24-2016, 09:03 AM
Dumay - I sent you an email. Lots of ways to identify and correct a color cast. I also usually spot them by eye and only correct those that are readily apparent by viewing. I sometimes use the eyedropper or a hue/sat layer to determine whether it is blue or cyan cast or both, same with magenta and red. As you know some casts are introduced or augmented in pp, so I tend to correct casts as one of the last steps in my pp. Lots of ways to actually make the correction too depending how the cast presents. It can be done in hue/saturation layer, selective color as Mike described or in color balance as well as probably a ton of other ways. If the cast is apparent in the RAW after setting WB and tint then it can be corrected in the RAW converter.

Rachel

Mike Hitchen
10-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Nik Software (which is now free) has a white neutralizer which can be very helpful to remove a colour cast.

Steve Kaluski
10-24-2016, 12:18 PM
I think guys you need to be clear on what's meant by 'Colour Cast' and is it from the camera or in the PP? Dumay, just keep things simple, get the WB sorted first and that is all you need. Once you get correct then you are on a level playing field where you can the take the WB to be either Colder or Warmer, then in turn adjusting 'specific' colours if required, no need for any other additional bit of software as you have it there in PS. If you tinker with 'Saturation' for example and the colours contained in that adjustment you then need to tell the Layer also, but I'm sure Rachel has covered that too.

Overall a nice image, personally I might move the crop a fraction down if you have the content below.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
10-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Hi Dumay
I think overall a cool image of the lady , i like the pose with the front legs elevated because of the log .Gives her an almost statue appearance which i like .
I am fine with the crop and i like the overall tonal and color palette .Lovely detail in the fur .
As a personal thing i might open up the whole tonal tonal range by a few points with two layers one for the darker and one for the lighter parts , plus i might change the WB a tiny bit into the cooler range .

Regarding the color cast , well to me a cast is more globally visual or measurable .What you have here is more locally with the blues/cyans .I would never trust only my eyes , one thing that does not lie is the eyedropper in PS or LR .There are many ways of changing or reducing color in PS ... too many to be precise for now.
If you look at Rachelīs dagga ( the muddy one ) where you have a dominating yellow/orange /red component across the whole tonal range .... i would speak of a color cast , not meaning it has to be reduced or changed , or look at my Blue Seal posted recently .
Just my thought .

Good to see you back posting , TFS Andreas

PS : what software are you using now ? as you said before you changed your editing software if i got it right .

haseeb badar
10-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Hi Dumay -- Lovely pose and nice details as well . Some excellent points mentioned above by Rachel , Steve and Andreas . Very helpful indeed . TFS !

Rachel , please can you also send me the email which you have sent to Dumay ? It will definitely be very helpful !:S3:

Rachel Hollander
10-24-2016, 03:32 PM
Haseeb - my email said the same as what I posted above. I had originally taken the conversation offline so as not to derail the critique process but then more people began to chime in with methods.

haseeb badar
10-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Yes, Rachel Got it !! :cheers:

Stu Bowie
10-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Hi Mate, lovely pose with an alert stare, and I like your choice of a vertical comp. Great that she is in the open, and that you have clean OOF BG behind her. Well captured.

Dumay de Boulle
10-26-2016, 04:21 AM
Thanks for all taking the time to assist and comment. I will take a look at the above suggestions and try sort this problem out....

Rachel I will get back to your mail soon...Had very little access to the internet over the last few days...Thanks for your help.

Bill Nuttall
10-26-2016, 07:19 AM
a strong image that only needs a bit of a tweak in pp to give it a "life" and more presence

serious intent on her face